sanding concerns - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default sanding concerns

I have recently turned a pen using oak and yellow wood. In both situations I used the same standard pen turning sandpaper (150 - 600) and found that the grain on the wood kept getting a grayish or brownish dusting into the grain that made the pen look like crap. I have not noticed this problem on darker woods. It almost looked like maybe I was sanding to hard and to high a speed and was almost "burning" the saw dust which was then sanded back into the grain of the wood. I also noticed that the darkest areas was closer to the bushings and thought that maybe I was hitting it with the sandpaper and some of the metal dust was coming onto the wood and getting pushed into the grain. Anyone have this issue and a solution?
mdwilliams999 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 2

The paper you are using is leaving abrasive particles in the wood. Most of the "pen turning" sandpaper offered use either red or black/dark gray abrasives. Norton's papers use a very light grit and also seem to stick better to the backing. That solved a very similar problem for me. No, that was not my idea. I posted the sme question and someone gave me this advice. For me, it worked. YMMV
Charles
ctubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You figured it out. It is the bushings. You can prevent it by sanding towards the bushings and not from them. You can put some thin CA on the blank before sanding, that will fill the pores in the wood and seal out the metal.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Another way to avoid the bushing dust is to turn between centers (TBC). Lots of great articles on this.

Another option is to cut some "washers" from a tub butter lid and turn them with the blank. This will give you a very small buffer zone but it does help.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 38

Yes, probably the bushings and metal dust. I did the same thing on my first few pens.
I now use delrin bushings for any sanding and CA finishes. My bushing is just a "cone" shaped piece at each end. I buy a stick of delrin and cut what I need.

"I found out there wern't too many limitations, if I did it my way." [Johnny Cash]

2nd Place - 2011 Edible Pen Contest
Ranger (2001 -2011) Our Beloved Shelty
John Carlisle 71112
www.jcwoodpens.com
Rangertrek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I don't sand with the correct bushings on ... I use slim line bushing so I never contact the bushings while sanding. I use these thin spacers I got with my mandrel for slim lines. Just don't get carried away with sanding or you'll go too far.

AK
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 61

I'll join the throng; Before you start sanding, wrap a layer of tape over the bushings.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 93

I like tape, too. I put it on before turning, as it also helps protect the bushings. This does, however require the use of calipers to get blanks to perfect size.
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads