Sanding between 600 and 1500 grit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not sure if the MM grits are the same as the AO or Abranet grits, but I was curious if anyone sands in between the 600 Abranet or AO and the 1500 MM. I guess there are two question in this post :). I was buying the 1200 wet/dry from Norton's (and the 2000). I am thinking that a better finish and possibly less upper range sanding with MM can be achieved if the gap between 600 and 1500 is addressed.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Tony -- Marketing and different standards confuse the grits

Attached (I hope) is a grit table I updated from someone else. Moving to looking at particle size in microns helps me.

Note also that the effects of particle size are not linear when speed is attached to the process. The shape, sharpness of particles, and velocity all affect the outcome. Little pieces make little scratches, but sometimes deep ones.

TonyL

This is excellent! Thank you. According to this charts...one is gaining much of a reduced micron size by introducing anything in btw 600 AO and 1500 MM. You really have to know your grits. Thanks Ken!

wyone

great information! But I also took note to your comment about sometimes little particles make deep scratches.. I think that used to be more of an issue for me.. I wanted it perfect, so I would use a lot of pressure and time.. now I use very light pressure and not much time on each grit. Of course using the Skew as my tool of choice has helps immensely

nativewooder

There is probably an equivalency chart in the IAP Library, or else in the internet. I used to keep a corkboard with different charts pertaining to drill bits, sanding, and other items I would need while I was working.

Wildman

Nice to know information; info does not cover AO or MM.

Bebhionn - everything you wanted to know about sandpaper

Normally in woodworking you achieve you sanding goal when have a uniform scratch pattern on wood, removed any tool marks and evened the surface of wood. Also have to pay attention to finishing product instructions, and wood species and characteristics like closed or open grain, or oily woods.

Any one's sanding sequence should fit the wood surface in front of them. In pen turning we use different materials to make pens so will have to adjust our sanding procedure to fit that material.

Any sanding procedure should take into account before finish applied and after. No ten pen/wood turners take the same approach when it comes to sanding and finishing the finish.

Top Bottom