Sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

Just wondering if you all wet sand wood or not. I have started wet sanding acrylics and they turn out good. I once read something that said not to wet sand wood. Thoughts?

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I would think that wet sanding with water would cause finish and possibly other issues. However, I did see something in one of the bracelet links today where someone wet sands with BLO? I could see where that might work, especially if BLO is already part of your finishing process.

arcwick08

The reason I would see NOT to wed sand bare would would be expansion. Wet wood expands and I would worry it would loosen the bond between tube and blank.

StephenM

I would think that wet sanding with water would cause finish and possibly other issues. However, I did see something in one of the bracelet links today where someone wet sands with BLO? I could see where that might work, especially if BLO is already part of your finishing process.

It's good for open grain woods like oak since it fills the pores and makes for a smoother finish.

ctubbs

I NEVER use water to wet sand wood. If I find the need to use a lube when sanding any wood, on or off the lathe, I use a non-grain raising lube such as BLO, Mineral Spirits, Mineral oil, DNA and so on. Water on bare wood will cause problems down stream in MHO. Naturally as usual, YMMV.
Charles

wiset1

I've never wet sanded wood before due in part to finishing issues later if you plan to put a CA finish on it. A lot of time is spent letting that wood dry for use...why put water back into it? I've used some of my old micro pads to dry sand wood before just to see what would happen, but never wet. That's just me

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
If I wet sand wood I prefer to use walnut oil over BLO. BLO can change the color of the wood where walnut oil will not.

patmurris

Never tried wet sanding wood (with water) and don't think it's a good idea... although is will certainly dry completely in a couple days... but then the grain may raise back and void the sanding...?

Wet sanding only really makes sens with very fine abrasives i think and for what i've experienced you don't gain much by sanding wood finer then 800/1000, which when using Abranet does not need any liquid - the dust escapes through the mesh. However, i read that some of us do sand there barrels with MicroMesh up to 12K, before applying the finish, which seems useless and overkill to me... Just MHO.

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

If the sandpaper like 400 wet or dry loads up It can be wet sanded with no problems.

Turn on the lathe and wipe it with DNA or acetone a few minutes later it can be coated.

Top Bottom