Sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

camb

After I have sanded the inside of a bowl I seem to have a build up of saw dust that doesn't want to come off. Can someone tell me what causes this and how to rectify it thanks Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

What are you using to remove it? Is it green (wet) wood? If it is sanding dust tends to stick a bit. I usually can remove all sanding dust with a paper towel with lathe running slowly. I use compressed air on hallow forms that I can't reach into easily. Sometimes I use DNA as Avi suggested above.

JimB

I can only think of two things. Maybe what you are seeing isn't sanding dust but rather sanding scratches. This can happen easily when sanding bowls depending on the wood, quality of the sandpaper and also your technique. The other possibility is the wood has pores and the dust is getting in them. I that case compressed air or DNA can help.

Can you be more specific about what you are seeing?

Wildman

Would like to see a picture of the wood & know what species we are talking about. If access to a air hose could also use air to blow out saw dust. Some folks use mineral spirits or water on a rag to wipe their bowls too.

flyitfast

Since you are sanding the inside of a bowl, do you think you are feeling end grain that needs to be stiffened? It can feel like roughage sometimes. If it is end grain, try sanding with wax on the sand paper. This stiffens the endgrain and also minimizes loose sanding dust.
Actually, I use a mixture of mineral oil and clear beeswax.
Just a thought.............
Gordon

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Since you are sanding the inside of a bowl, do you think you are feeling end grain that needs to be stiffened? It can feel like roughage sometimes. If it is end grain, try sanding with wax on the sand paper. This stiffens the endgrain and also minimizes loose sanding dust.
Gordon

I second that, Gordon. It really does cut down on the sanding dust. One of the guys at our local Woodcraft showed me that trick & gave me a little jar of his mixture.

flyitfast

Gordon

I second that, Gordon. It really does cut down on the sanding dust. One of the guys at our local Woodcraft showed me that trick & gave me a little jar of his mixture.

Actually Edgar, I have to give credit to one of Carl Jacobson's videos for that tip. It really makes going back over endgrain with a gouge and light touch a quick solution.

Top Bottom