Ridge at end of tube - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Ridge at end of tube

I have been making some slimline pens and finishing with med. CA glue. I also use the plastic non-stick bushings when finishing. My problem is at the ends of the tubes there is a small ridge of CA built up. When I am done and take the tubes of the mandrel I have to snap off the bushings. This leaves a sharp burr like edge on the tube. I have started taking the tubes off before buffing and using some 600 sandpaper to take that burr off. Then put them back on the mandrel to sand down and polish. Is this a common problem? Anyone have a better solution?
Bope is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Yes. CA does not stick to Pfte, silicon, many plastics, wax, Teflon and so forth. Simply apply wax or Teflon to the standard bushings and treat normal. If applied properly the bushings will not stick, if they do a simple twist on the lathe will separate it.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 83

I do not make videos and some times it is just hard to put in words what you want to convey. But I will try. AS you progress in this hobby you will pick up little tricks and many never get mentioned because people think they are so obvious everyone knows that. But here is mine. If you are using those bulbous non stick bushings for finishing, they do not leave you any room on the ends for the excess CA to go and it builds up pretty good. I prefer to use and I made my own because they are simple to do, cone shaped bushings. What this does is allow the motion of your swipe of CA to continue past the edge of the tube and up onto the bushing thus less build up of CA on the ends. If I however get a large glob I take a blue shop paper towel and gentle touch the edge of the tube where the glob is and it gets absorbed in towel. This all leads to less CA on ends and to remove tube is a matter of a very slight snap or twist that does no damage to CA. Now I sand ends down and get ready for finish polishing. But before I do that I put some thin CA on a piece of wax paper and gently dip ends in to seal ends. Wipe any excess off. It is important to seal ends of wood blanks because if you use water to lubricate sanding efforts it can get under CA and cause other problems. Like I said easier to do and show than to explain but it is little tidbits I picked up over the years and you will get your own too. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

John, thanks for the tips. I also ordered some HDPE rod so I can turn down some more plastic bushings. For a slimline pen that is going to be very thin at the end and wonder about the durability of that thin plastic. It has been interesting that this usually happens only at one end of the tube. I must wipe slightly different to the right than I do to the left.
Bope is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you are going to make your own bushings why not make them for turning between 60 degree centers.

And here's another tip. When you have the 2 blanks ready to go on the mandrel, use a black sharpie and put a mark on the inside of the brass tubes on the ends that go to the center. You will likely still be able to see the mark if the orientation gets mixed up.

Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Bope, turned some plastic of some kind; got it at the recycling center as guys from a local business were putting it in a recycling bin. Anyway....I have turned it down to almost paper thin. I even turned a tapered piece to use as an insert tool for glued tubes into a blank.
Attached Thumbnails
20180312_140601-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Woodchipper; 11-05-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Woodchipper is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I have only done a few ca finishes but I noticed how the ca can build up fast on the non stick bushings. The first time I had to twist them a little to get them off. So I changed my wiping pattern when I finished on the others. Instead of putting ca on the towel and wiping from one end to the other, I start instead about 1/4 of the way from the end, wipe back to the end and back to the other end. I don't use a lot on coats so I do this wipe pretty fast. It has stopped most of the globbing on the ends. After each pen I also will let the non stick bushings dry and peel off the ca with my fingernail before putting back on the mandrel for the next finish. This just my method soo far until I get better and I find another way that works better.
bsshog40 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Woodchipper just showed you it can be done. Not that hard and for finishing they do not have to be perfect. You are not turning on them just finishing. That is all I do. If I want to turn on them I use the dead and live center between centers for final touch ups.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Allen View Post
If you are going to make your own bushings why not make them for turning between 60 degree centers.
I see others doing this. What is the advantage of this technique??
ramaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads