Renaissance Wax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Several years ago someone(?) stated that Ren wax should be applied and buffed at slow speed because high speed took all the wax off.

Some people put Ren wax on after the pen is assembled and apply it to the metal parts as well as the wood.

I have been putting the wax on the slowly turning blank and then immediately buff it with a flannel cloth.

What is the "correct" way to use the wax?

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

well, The "CORRECT" way to use it is to use it to clean and restore Oil paintings, as I believe that's what it was originally developed for. However for pens it does a pretty good job of keeping fingerprints from showing up so much on a perfectly glossy surface. I have used it for years, first on carbon steel knife blades and handle materials, then on pens. I usually apply with a fingertip to a slowly spinning polished blank, then let dry for 5 min or so, then buff at high speed. Sometime I do use it on the assembled pen, metal and all if i notice a specific pen really showing fingerprints on the metal, but not for all pens. Once it dries to a haze, it's pretty tough stuff, so I don't worry about removing it all. One coat is all you need, as it is a cleaner as well as a wax, so it doesn't "build" into a thicker finish (YMMV)

Keep in mind it is just a protectant/treatment for your real finish, whatever that might be. It is not a good finish in and of itself, because it is permeable, and will wear off and allow finger oils to discolor the underlying materials.

Several years ago someone(?) stated that Ren wax should be applied and buffed at slow speed because high speed took all the wax off.

Some people put Ren wax on after the pen is assembled and apply it to the metal parts as well as the wood.

I have been putting the wax on the slowly turning blank and then immediately buff it with a flannel cloth.

What is the "correct" way to use the wax?

Larry

Follow the directions on the can. :rolleyes:

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I have never found any difference in how fast it is rubbed on or wiped off. Hand wiping can be more vigorous if the wax is allowed to harden. Like all waxes, doing it twice is always a better coverage than only once

Top Bottom