Removing wax to refinish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody350ep

Does anyone know if you have to remove wax/WD/Tripoli from a piece before applying more poly over it? I have decided I want some more buildup of poly on something I am making, but I don't know if the finish will be affected by putting it on over this stuff. If so, how do you remove it without affecting the existing poly? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Jason; If you read the directions on the can of poly, you'll see them telling you all wax etc must be removed etc. I think mineral spirits or the like (varsol) will remove the wax and allow you to put on more poly.

woody350ep

good point, and of course I didnt think to look at the can lol. I have DNA, would that remove the wax without affecting the poly underneath it?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think turpentine will get rid of the wax. I don't know if you have to worry
about the tripoli .. I'm not sure if that leaves anything behind or not.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
good point, and of course I didnt think to look at the can lol. I have DNA, would that remove the wax without affecting the poly underneath it?
Hi Woody; I'd prefer turps, or any mineral spirit, but I think you'll find the alcohol will work also.

woody350ep

I got some mineral spirits on its way. I had knee surgery yesterday so I was hoping the DNA would work so I wouldnt have to get some MS. I'll use that and get a few more coats on my project and let it sit a couple days before buffing. It's a christmas present so haste is necessary lol

woody350ep

Alright, I hit the vase with MS. I wetted a PT with it and rubbed it down real good. There is no residue or discoloration on the PT, so how do I know I got the wax off? Is it just pretty much a guarantee the MS will take the wax off quickly and easily or do I really need to buff it out hardcore?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Alright, I hit the vase with MS. I wetted a PT with it and rubbed it down real good. There is no residue or discoloration on the PT, so how do I know I got the wax off? Is it just pretty much a guarantee the MS will take the wax off quickly and easily or do I really need to buff it out hardcore?
I'm betting you're good to go!

Top Bottom