Removing a fogged CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

Hey guys,
I had been stuck at home since Friday due to flooding from hurricane Harvey. So I was making a few pens to keep my self busy. I don't really have a shop so I set up my stuff on my back patio which is covered. So humidity was 100% in my work area not to mention occasional mists from blowing rain.
My last pen I had trouble with the finish. I was using black cherry burl that I had stabilized. The first time I finished it there were a couple of cloudy spots, I suspect it was from water mist blowing. Took that finish off with my tool and sand paper. For my next attempt I decided to put on 1 coat of thin CA first which I don't normally do then added my normal coats of thick, 60% of that finish was clouded. I decided to try taking most of the this finish off with acetone then sanding, also a first for me. This sat about an hour and reapplied a new finish which also fogged.
My question, is it reasonable to think I can remove a finish with acetone instead of turning it off? My already thin wood is getting very thin.
I did make a couple of other pens with no finish problems under these same circumstances.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Blowing mist and 100% humidity will probably preclude achieving a good CA finish. I suggest removng the problem finish, then wait for more favorable conditions. If you end up needing to build thickness with CA due to rework wood loss, do not try to rush it. You may experience more CA issues. Build a little, let it cure, wait a day and continue. Repeat until satisfied with build thickness. You can save this. :)

MPVic

Hey guys,
I had been stuck at home since Friday due to flooding from hurricane Harvey. So I was making a few pens to keep my self busy. I don't really have a shop so I set up my stuff on my back patio which is covered. So humidity was 100% in my work area not to mention occasional mists from blowing rain.
My last pen I had trouble with the finish. I was using black cherry burl that I had stabilized. The first time I finished it there were a couple of cloudy spots, I suspect it was from water mist blowing. Took that finish off with my tool and sand paper. For my next attempt I decided to put on 1 coat of thin CA first which I don't normally do then added my normal coats of thick, 60% of that finish was clouded. I decided to try taking most of the this finish off with acetone then sanding, also a first for me. This sat about an hour and reapplied a new finish which also fogged.
My question, is it reasonable to think I can remove a finish with acetone instead of turning it off? My already thin wood is getting very thin.
I did make a couple of other pens with no finish problems under these same circumstances.
On another note, praying that you & your family, along with so many others, will survive the flooding safe and sound. God bless you.

KenV

Acetone bath does wonders for removing CA finish. It avoids loss of wood and detail that can come with extra sanding.

Brotherdale

Acetone bath does wonders for removing CA finish. It avoids loss of wood and detail that can come with extra sanding.

I did a combo. I soaked a rag in acetone and then sanded it with 400 grit.
I couldn't soak the whole blank, I had glued the tube in with CA.
Came out good this time. I guess it's true what they say " fourth time is the charm"
Thanks

Brotherdale

Hey guys,
On another note, praying that you & your family, along with so many others, will survive the flooding safe and sound. God bless you.

Thanks brother. My family was very fortunate, all safe with no damage to property. My middle daughter did need rescue by boat. They were in a second floor apartment.
Now that I can get out ill bate able to help some folks clean up.
I was turning to keep my sanity.

Top Bottom