Realistic Cigar finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodster Will

What sort of finish would you use for a realistic cigar pen? Obviously real cigars aren't shiny so it needs to be something else. Full Matt or maybe a Satin finish? I think I have some Matt Polyurethane somewhere would that do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
You're right about that shiny cigar. If the blank was stabilized just work it to 3200 MicroMesh. If it was not stabilized I would apply CA for the finish cause it will hold up and not show the effects of skin oil and perspiration that may get on it. Finish the 3 or 4 coats of CA, thin, with MM stopping at the 3200 mark and no polish after that.
JM2CW
WB
Oh, and no finish on the band, just doesn't look real if you do.

Woodster Will

Thanks for that Bill. Excellent tutorial by the way, I've been studying it closely. Not sure what kit to get though as our pen kits often have different names over here. I'll work it out eventually! :biggrin:

Woodster Will

I've just done a quick test with a couple of finishes I had to hand. On the left side of this blank is Matt Acrylic which is touch dry. On the right side is Satin Polyurethane which is still wet. I'll wait until it's dry but I may buy some Matt Polyurethane to try before deciding on a finish. The blank is Brown Mallee Burl.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 212

walshjp17

I sand to 320 then apply a sanding sealer. After it dries I apply Yorkshire Grit and then finish with Hampshire Sheen Original. Gives a nice "feel" of wood without the glitz of a plastic cover (as with CA). The pen in the photo (Thuya Burl) was done with this process.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 259

Woodster Will

I bit the bullet and bought some Matt Polyurethane. I've turned the finish off the blank and painted half Matt, half Satin. I'll leave it to dry overnight and see how it looks tomorrow.

Nice Pen John, hope mine turns out as well.

I've never seen any Grey wood like the Buckeye Burl so I'm going to have to resort to using something pale and staining it grey I think.

Dale Allen

I use gray buckeye burl that is NOT stabilized because it is easier to carve.
After I get the shape that I want I flood it with black acrylic paint and let it dry. Then I use whiteout and give it surface accents. Last step is to use a 400 grit sandpaper and make lead dust from a lead pencil. This is then rubbed onto the white to give it a gray accent.
It takes some trial and error until it is looking somewhat realistic.

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom