Questions about snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Hi gang,
I have a peice of snakewood that is just srceaming "MAKE ME INTO A PEN"
My first question is What would be a good (or great) kit to show off the snakewood? I'm thinking of a Baron from BB. I picked up the WoodCraft version, but have not had time to turn anything.

Next question is what finish would show off the character of the snakewood, and protect the pen?

Thanks for listening, and hopefully answering,

53Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Jim. There's been a running discussion over the past 3 or 4 days about snakewood and its tendency to split--even long after turning. I wish you good luck with your piece. As for the appropriate kit, The figure in snakewood screams, so the only thing I wouldn't do with it is make a straight slimline.

53Jim

I forgot to mention that I have boiled the snakewood, than sealed it in a ziplock bag for a month. Opened the bag for a month, than let it sit on a shelf for about 2 months. (Instructions came from the Yahoo pen turning group).

elody21

Originally posted by 53Jim
<br />I forgot to mention that I have boiled the snakewood, than sealed it in a ziplock bag for a month. Opened the bag for a month, than let it sit on a shelf for about 2 months. (Instructions came from the Yahoo pen turning group).
Great idea, Maybe this will work with other woods!

woodpens

The following is some advice I gave someone recently regarding Ebony. The same is true of Snakewood.

Ebony is prone to cracking. Heat and stress are common causes of it. When you drill it, heat builds up VERY quickly. You have to drill slowly and be careful not to build up much heat. Make sure you have good glue coverage when you glue the tubes in the blanks. Use sharp tools. Pens that have the thickest wood on the final product are least likely to have problems. Applying friction polish can build up too much heat also. A CA finish would be better. When you assemble the pen, pressing the parts into the tubes can stress the wood and make it crack immediately or a month down the road. Filing the inside of the tubes until the parts can be pressed in by hand, and applying glue to hold them in place helps this problem.

Tom@wgp

I've made a few attempts at snakewood pens. Only one has survived without cracking. Nearly a year now. I used poly glue to set the tubes, and was VERY patient in the turning/finishing process to avoid excessive heat build up.

Snakewood polishes beautifully. But because of its wicked temperament, I won't make another for a customer.

I have recently read the boiling/bagging process on here. I have a foot or so left, so maybe I'll give that a try.

Good luck with yours.

Tom

patsfan

Beware of the heat even a BLO/CA finish or CA/accelerator causes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom