Questions about laser engraving acrylic.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spats139

How deep should the engraving be to allow for coloring, and what recommendations do you have for the actual color infill?

I turned two pens in a pink acrylic, and had them engraved at the local trophy shop; he had done wooden pens before but never acrylic. The engraving appears fine, but I'm having trouble with the coloring.

Reading the forums I saw a suggestion for the Rub'n Buff wax metallic finishes. I used that, but I'm not getting a consistent infill, and the overage around the engraving is leaving a grayish discoloration on the blank when I try to clean it up. (I'm using the silver finish. The blank had been finished with micro mesh to 12K, and Hut Ultra Gloss, before the engraving.) I will continue to see if I can salvage the pens I made, but I can't deliver them in their current condition.

I checked laserturner's Kallenshaan site (nice work Ken), which in turn took me to the site of an outfit called LaserBits where they offer a product called Pro Color Fill? The LaserBits Tech Tips pages also suggested oil based enamels or "model fills" (regular model paint?) for use on acrylic.

At just under $9 (CDN) to have a pen engraved, I would prefer to draw on your collective knowledge for guidance, rather than learn through trial-and-error. So, if you have any experience with this, or tips to share, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

mrcook4570

DNA will clean up the excess color around the engraved area. I have used all of the fill materials that you mention and acrylic paint with good results.

Top Bottom