question on ca finsh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi guys and gals i have been doing a ca finsh for alomst a year now and it it doing better each time i do it but i was wondering how many coats of ca due you use to get the glass look on the blank i have been doinf 2 coats of thin then 3 to 5 coats of med do i need change things up or not.
thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Same here...8-10 coats..some woods just need more to smooth out..I also mm afterwards so put an extra coat or two for what you mm off.

GoodTurns

how many do you need? You will likely get a pile of different answers.... thick enough to not sand through, the right thickness to make a clean fit to the hardware... however many coats of whichever thickness (thin, med, thick) gives you a consistent clean finish is the right number of coats...and it may be wildly different from mine and anyone elses!

Carl Fisher

I've been refining my own method of applying to the point where I'll do 3 thin as a base and then 5 medium and move to sanding unless I have to build up to a finished size (underturned oops). I'm happy with the depth and feel that I'm not unduly wasting CA.

As always, YMMV and you'll get 100 different answers. And this also varies from blank to blank depending on how porous.

Top Bottom