Question about African Blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bad

I recently purchased a batch of African Blackwood pen blanks. I turned my first pen this afternoon. After turning the first pen it wasn't as black as the blank was before I started. I know with Purpleheart the wood takes some time being exposed to light and air before it returns to the origonal colour. Is the same true with African Blackwood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sefali

The blackwood does not change back, at least not in my experience. I'm glad it doesn't though, as a couple of my favorite pens are blackwood, and the brown is the reason why. When they are finished, the brown takes on a transucent appearance, as if it was an acrylic. As you change angles, you seem to be looking into the pen, as opposed to at it.

ldb2000

The blackwood does not change back, at least not in my experience. I'm glad it doesn't though, as a couple of my favorite pens are blackwood, and the brown is the reason why. When they are finished, the brown takes on a transucent appearance, as if it was an acrylic. As you change angles, you seem to be looking into the pen, as opposed to at it.

That is called "Chatoyance" . It's a wonderful characteristic of some woods , it is what gives curly woods their look .

sefali

That is called "Chatoyance" . It's a wonderful characteristic of some woods , it is what gives curly woods their look .

Thanks. I new there was a word for, and I think I've even properly used it before. We'll just chalk that one up to a brain fart.:redface:

bad

Thank you both for the response. Now when I'm talking to my customer I'll be able to tell the truth and use a really cool technical term. Boy, is he going to think I'm smart. It'll only be the three of us who know better :)

GouletPens

Have you finished it or just turned it? Like most woods, it will darken up a bit once the finish is on it. Some AB I've used is more of a brown color and some is almost completely black. I think it does vary just a little bit from blank to blank. I BLO and CA mine and that darkens them up a bit.

Rollerbob

Just finished another one yesterday(sorry at the mine, no pic)anyway have found that a CA or BLO/CA finish sometimes will not cover even doing a DNA on it. However, the dark brown/ black wood is quite nice when a proper finish is done. BTW, yesterday's pen was a no go on CA so I MM'd a bit and put it on the buffing wheel and ended with a nice finish.

GouletPens

Just finished another one yesterday(sorry at the mine, no pic)anyway have found that a CA or BLO/CA finish sometimes will not cover even doing a DNA on it. However, the dark brown/ black wood is quite nice when a proper finish is done. BTW, yesterday's pen was a no go on CA so I MM'd a bit and put it on the buffing wheel and ended with a nice finish.
Acetone is much better than DNA esp. for oily woods like AB. Throw the acetone on there, then almost immediately BLO, then multiple coats of thin CA and you're golden. Of course I'll say that and you'll try it and it might not work, but it works in my shop anyway. You know how CA advice can be all over the place!

Rollerbob

Acetone is much better than DNA esp. for oily woods like AB. Throw the acetone on there, then almost immediately BLO, then multiple coats of thin CA and you're golden. Of course I'll say that and you'll try it and it might not work, but it works in my shop anyway. You know how CA advice can be all over the place!
Thanks for the heads up, I will try acetone and if it doesn't work I'll tell the world!!!:biggrin:

GouletPens

Thanks for the heads up, I will try acetone and if it doesn't work I'll tell the world!!!:biggrin:
Haha...just don't blame me if it doesn't work! I think sometimes people give advice like it's the end all be all, but honestly there are a lot of different factors in force with everything we do. The best craftsmen are the ones that are able to recognize what problems come up in their particular area and are able to overcome them, it just doesn't always translate to others' shops! So try it and let us know if it makes a difference for you. The one HUGE advantage to acetone over DNA is that acetone evaporates much quicker, so it is much, much less likely to cause clouding/moisture/lifting problems with your CA finish. :rolleyes:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian and Bob, the reason to use acetone instead of denatured alcohol is that with use, the DNA absorbs water from the ambient air. This water does not evaporate as rapidly as the DNA, leaving a potential for moisture in the wood which will cause the clouding under your finish.

BTW, Bob based on your avatar, I'm not sure shaving was a good idea!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom