purple heart question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello William

Here is what I know about purpleheart wood. They are not all the same. There is well over a hundred different species that come from many parts of South America and Mexico. Some people get lucky with finding a species that will stay purple once it turns due to the tannin and oils in the wood.

When this wood is milled it will turn brown and with exposure to air and UV it will turn purple. Sometimes a real deep purple. That would be an indicator that you may have a piece that will stay that way. Another way to turn the brown color to purple is use a heat gun. This speeds the process. But what the UV does will also cause it to turn dark and brown again.

People try all kinds of methods to keep the color and again it actually comes down to the species they are working with and they do not realize it. But the ideal finish would have UV protection in it such as marine varnishes. Some people get away with just ordinary CA. Again the species comes into play. But what you want to do is seal the wood so air does not get in and that will help with all kinds of purpleheart woods. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible. Only time will tell for sure. You could always strip it and refinish and start over or maybe you will get lucky.

Wish there were a more definite answer but it is a crap shoot. Good luck.

plantman

John is right on about Purple Heart. You could get eleven, seven, or snake eyes. You won't know until you use it!! I have used Purple Heart for pens, cases, and bracelets, with different results in color when finished. I tried clear poly, lacquer, varnish, wax, CA, and a few others with no constant result. My wood rack has several Purple Heart boards that have remained purple for over ten years with no finish at all. But as John suggested to above, they have never seen sunlight/UV rays and are kept in a controlled humidity/heat wood room. Tonight I sprayed a Blood Wood case I had made with clear lacquer and it made the color really stand out, which I found unusual, as Blood Wood seems to lose it's fantastic red coloring and turn a dull muddy brown, much the same as Purple Heart. It will be a few days before the case is ready to post, but it should be interesting to see if the color stays as bright as it is now. Jim S

jttheclockman

John is right on about Purple Heart. You could get eleven, seven, or snake eyes. You won't know until you use it!! I have used Purple Heart for pens, cases, and bracelets, with different results in color when finished. I tried clear poly, lacquer, varnish, wax, CA, and a few others with no constant result. My wood rack has several Purple Heart boards that have remained purple for over ten years with no finish at all. But as John suggested to above, they have never seen sunlight/UV rays and are kept in a controlled humidity/heat wood room. Tonight I sprayed a Blood Wood case I had made with clear lacquer and it made the color really stand out, which I found unusual, as Blood Wood seems to lose it's fantastic red coloring and turn a dull muddy brown, much the same as Purple Heart. It will be a few days before the case is ready to post, but it should be interesting to see if the color stays as bright as it is now. Jim S

Jim bloodwood is another wood that is not the same. Today what gets sold for bloodwood is definitely browner in color. Hard to come by the true bloodwood from South America. Redheart is another one of those woods as is pink ivory and the list goes on. Even yellowheart can be finicky. If you deal with exotic woods a lot there are times you can tell just by the weight of a board.

Last edited:

plantman

John; Agreed !! I have been collecting exotic woods for over 50+ years now, and what is being sold today is nothing like what you could buy 20-30 years ago. If you want to buy the real deal today, you are going to have to find an honest exotic wood dealer and pay up for the real thing. And, yes, you can feel the difference in the weight of true exotic woods. Wait until you see the colors in the Blood Wood case I am working on. Be well !! Jim S

jttheclockman

John; Agreed !! I have been collecting exotic woods for over 50+ years now, and what is being sold today is nothing like what you could buy 20-30 years ago. If you want to buy the real deal today, you are going to have to find an honest exotic wood dealer and pay up for the real thing. And, yes, you can feel the difference in the weight of true exotic woods. Wait until you see the colors in the Blood Wood case I am working on. Be well !! Jim S

This is so true. I have such a guy and I am hoping he stays in business. He recently just had a fire at his place.

This pen was made with bloodwood and maple and I have no doubt this will stay as red as it is today forever.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/999/1_Copy_of_Copy_of_IMGP0899.JPG

Hawkdave

That's one beautiful pen John.

I will be getting into segmented pens very soon. I have played around with the Celtic knot which turned out nice, then cut the blank down it's length in a wavy pattern and glued a contrasting veneer between the two pieces, this was done on two sides with two veneers. The pen turned out well. All I need to do now is, learn to take some quality pictures so I can post to IAP.

Dave.

jttheclockman

That's one beautiful pen John.

I will be getting into segmented pens very soon. I have played around with the Celtic knot which turned out nice, then cut the blank down it's length in a wavy pattern and glued a contrasting veneer between the two pieces, this was done on two sides with two veneers. The pen turned out well. All I need to do now is, learn to take some quality pictures so I can post to IAP.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. Love to see your pen. Do not have to have photography type photos. Just be able to see very well. Todays cameras do most of the work with some half way decent lighting. Always can use Mother Nature as the light source.

Not to take away from the OP post but if you do get into segmenting and have questions just post in the segmenting forum and they surely will be answered. The world of segmenting is wide open and the only limitations are your own mind.

Top Bottom