Purple heart in the oven - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Oh, and what's feed-and-wax?

I ain't no newby but I ain't never heard of no such thing as that!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh, one more thing, who or what is WSSI?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 2

feed-n-wax you can get at home depot/lowes, it's made by howard and really brings out some details.

WSSI is a professional stabilizing company.
http://www.stabilizedwood.com/

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Quote:
Originally posted by edstreet

You can also use feed-n-wax to bring out the color instantly before adding the ca finish :)
Have you actually used a CA finish over Feed-n-Wax? It seem counter-intuitive to put CA over beeswax and carnauba wax.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Yes. it soaks into the wood and does not say on the top of the wood.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Any reasons for stabilizing purpleheart? I mean, besides generating heat and, thereby, making the wood more purple?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Julia ... I have found that professional stabilization of purple heart renders the wood to be even harder than normal, the wood takes to the tool even better - meaning it is easier and 'cleaner' to cut, but the best thing is than oils from one's hand does not change the wood at all. It stays cleaner, is water proofed beyond one's imagination, refuses to get dirty, etc.

All around I believe that any wood that is a candidate for the professional stabilization process gives us the wood worker a much more easier piece of wood to work with in every aspect of the wood working task. I much prefer the stabilized wood over non-stabilized wood. Some here and in the 'customer field will often say the wood is too plastic looking/feeling. My reply is 'to each his own.' If the customer doesn't like the process don't use stabilization on their wood.

WSSI is indeed one excellent source for having your wood stabilized. They have an over abundance of knowledge of how woods will react to the process and will tell you right up front if the wood cannot be stabilized. Call them with any questions you have and I guarantee you that you will never be mislead.

BTW, WSSI and others prefer the wood to be stabilized to be less than 10% moisture content. In other words NOT GREEN wood as the moisture is not acceptable to the process. :D

" The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 58

I read a blog on a pen turners web site, which I do not have stored on this computer, which mentioned burnishing on the lathe to bring out what he called a "grape jelly" color.

I tried it using a cork block from ROCKLER. I held it on the blank as it was spinning and as it heated the wood up it started to turn different shades of purple. When I got it to the "grape jelly" color I stop applying pressure.

I finished it with HUT Crystal Coat and when I gave it away to a friend who like purple it was still the dark purpler color.

I read somewhere that if you place PH in the sun it will get darker as well. The only catch in doing that is that if left to long it will turn brown. Rosewood will do the same thing if left in the sun.

Paduak, Pick Ivory, Redheart and other woods will turn brown as well due to the sun.

However, one item I read said to use the protective wipe, like AmourAll or MacGuires, will prevent the color change if used periodically just like the way that they protect the dash board and other components in your car. They do this by providing a UV inhibitors. TonyL talks about REJEX in his post on how he polishes his acrylic pen blanks.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Hello Elwin

This is a rather old thread but I can say the same ideas are there. All woods change color. Rosewood will darken but not lose its color. Colored woods such as you mention will darken and then eventually turn brown in due time. Heat and UV plays a large roll in that and yes you can control to a certain extent. You can finish with a UV prohibiting finish. You can avoid direct sunlight and heat. Some woods actually take on a better look when they age and some woods just lose their appeal all together. I have 2 pieces of pink ivory sitting on my workbench. Both bought the same time. Both were as pink as a flower when I bought them. One has turned a tan and the other is still as pink as the day I bought it. Just from sitting in the air and no finish on it.

But the thing that gets overlooked many times is every piece of wood is not the same and by that I mean just because it comes from the same family it may have more resin or tannins in it thus making it more impervious to color change. That is why some purple heart is true purple for a lot longer time. I have many examples of that in my shop from various woods. Redheart is another one of those love it or hate it. I have found yellow heart to be one that stays yellow in all conditions and does not change color much at all. Now this is true yellowheart. There are other woods that are yellow in color but do not follow this pattern.

Good luck when using mother nature's colored woods.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

I just completed a cutting board with maple and purpleheart. When completed, the purpleheart was brown. I remembered light helps so I put it in the sun for about 20 minutes flipping it over at ten. It turned purple. After Howard's Butcher Block Finish it looked wonderful.

Try sunlight!
mmayo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads