Pump for BLO or DNA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

My wife never goes t WalMart with me but for some reason she went with me yesterday after we dropped off my son at work.

She needed fingernail polish remover so I found it for her and found this. I've been looking at pump dispensers like this for awhile but this caught my eye since with the remover it was only $1.80.

I can't buy one for this price. I may get one, dump the contents into the small bottle of remover I bought before I bought a real full quart can and refill it.

Attachments

• 20170704_184346_resized.jpg
    20170704_184346_resized.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 20170704_184353_resized.jpg
    20170704_184353_resized.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

monophoto

I have no problem reusing household containers for finishes. In fact, for things like shop-made wiping varnish, there is nothing better than a glass spice container. I make a point of checking everything that my wife throws out to see if there are things that I can reuse. Eventually, there will be a buildup of finish around the top, and when it becomes too much of a nuisance, I just throw the bottle away and replace it.

But for things that are used to apply finish directly to a piece on the lathe, I like squeeze bottles - light in weight, and with a spout that makes it easier to get finish where I want it to be. Harbor Freight sells sets of four bottles that I find work very well. They are made from a polyethylene that seems to withstand DNA, lacquer thinner, turpentine, acetone and mineral spirits.

Burb

Remember that not all nail polish removers contain acetone - just the good ones :) When i purchase this for my daughter/wife, I get the non-acetone as it's less of a smell.

Woodchipper

FWIW, I buy acetone and DNA in gallon sizes. I used to get the small quart cans but figured as much as I use, it is cheaper to buy the gallon and use the smaller cans for over the workbench. Yes, acetone can do a number on some plastics. My parents built a house in the 70s. I was touching up the stain in the downstairs bathroom. I put the stain in a styrofoam cup. I went out for a couple of minutes and came back- the stain melted the cup, ran all over the synthetic top and onto the carpet. Fortunately, it didn't stain the top and we used a big gob of Goop to clean the carpet. Wheeew!

monophoto

Yes, acetone can do a number on some plastics. My parents built a house in the 70s. I was touching up the stain in the downstairs bathroom. I put the stain in a styrofoam cup. I went out for a couple of minutes and came back- the stain melted the cup, ran all over the synthetic top and onto the carpet.

Some people dissolve either polystyrene (styrofoam) or plexiglass in acetone to produce finishes for wood turning projects.

Woodchipper

Yes, put it under vacuum for impregnating wood. See that on another website.
BTW, wife wants to borrow some acetone as her nail polish remover is not great.

Top Bottom