Protecting wood other then with CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyBal

Is there a finishing method for wood that protects but doesn't have the plastic feel that CA gives? I guess with soft woods there really isn't a choice, but has anyone used something that still lets the pen feel like wood but remains protected after normal use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I've just sanded through the pretty pads, and then spun the blank up with some BLO....doesn't get much closer to being wood then that.

Will the wood change coloring after awhile? Yup

Will the wood on the pen need 'maintenance'? Yup

They is always Wipe-On-Poly, and lacquer dripping too.

Scott (Ca is fast, doesn't mean it is the best) B

studioso

there are plenty choises:
hut finish, is a 2-step wax that burnishes into the wood. it's not super durable, and with use the gloss will change, but it's super quick and easy, and for me it's very satisfactory with some dense and closed pored woods, like olive tree or bokote. takes literally a minute and it's more fun than CA!

then there are oils like leevalley's turner's polish (80K41.01). in my experience these look great when you apply them, they penetrate deep and pop out the grain, but are not suitable for pens. i've applyed 5-6 coats of turners oil (which is easy but you have to wait 1 hour between coats) and it look nice and solid, it has a very nice matte look but with use it sort of rubs off.

SSobel

studioso said it all!

This is the best way to get that "wood" finish without the plastic feel of CA. If you have soft woods, waxing won't make them any stronger...they would need to be stabilized first. Waxing is also relatively inexpensive. After applying the wax to the pen and get that rag on there...the hotter you can get it...the better!

wiset1

When I did my knife concept Pen I put a thin ca pour on the sanded blank then let it dry before I put 000 steel wool to it to strip it down. The ca stabilized the wood under the shine then the steel wool took the glare off and exposed the protected wood underneath. Might be an option.

Justturnin

My with pen was finished in general woodturner finish and i really like it. I can still feel the grain of the wood. From what i understand it takes a little longer to finish but so do most non-ca finishes.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Try Woodturner's Finish from General Finishes. I've used it several times and am starting to really like it. Woodturner's Finish is a hybrid water/oil base poly. The first coat takes a few minutes to dry but additional coats go on much faster. It takes about twice as long as CA. If you wait a few hours it buffs well if desired.

Here's a pic of a pen I finished with it.

Take a road trip. I'm having a rep from General Finishes giving a demo and samples at our meeting on the 29th. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Dsc04084.jpg
    Dsc04084.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 158

RogerH

Have you tried Mylen's fricton polish? That is what I started with, and I really liked it for maintaining the natural feel of the wood. It also produces a shine or finish I really like. Unfortunately, it wears off fairly fast, though it is easy to renew, even off the lathe.

My opinion is that the "perfect" finish, ie: one that is as tough as CA, but still feels and looks like natural wood, doesn't exist !

For most pens, CA is the way to go in my opinion. Shine and durability sell.

Top Bottom