Problems with dipping lacqer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GPDMTR25

This is the problem. I dip the lacquer; wait at least a month then when I put the kit parts on the lacquer chips. I've tried different number of dips to change the thickness but it happens no matter what I try. Any ideas or has any one had the same experience? :confused:

Thanks
Angela

ldb2000

Have you cleaned up the ends of the blanks before you assembled them ? If not then that's your problem . When you press in the parts the uneven lacquer on the ends of the blank are getting crushed and causing the chips in the ends .
Use a sanding mill to clean them up . You can buy one through a couple of the members or make your own .
Take your barrel trimmer and remove the cutterhead from the pilot shaft and reinstall it upside down . Cut a disk of sticky backed sandpaper (I use 220 grit) the same size as your cutterhead and use a paper punch to make the center hole in the disk , and stick the disk to the flat side of the cutterhead . Use it the same way you use your barrel trimmer .

GPDMTR25

Thanks that might be it.

Butch,

That might be my problem. I usually use CA as a finish and automatically clean the ends before I assemble it but with waiting so long for the lacquer to cure I might not have remember to do that.

Thanks
Angela

Top Bottom