Poplar Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Just a quick question. Does anyone turn pens using poplar wood? I'm working on one now, and just wondering if it will keep it's light look if I wax, rather than poly it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

Ken ,
I can't answer the question about the wax but I do work with a lot of poplar for scroll sawing and know that if a good sealing type of finish is applied it won't lose it's color .

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Other than pure white, Brazilian carnauba, I've not found a wax that doesn't darken...at least a little. The paler the wood, the more noticeable the darkening, unfortunately. Many of the poly's are water clear and will have less darkening than virtually any wax.

bnosie

I've turned a couple of poplar pens, and finished them with wax (Hut PPP). I think that a CA finish would be best, as it is relatively soft and they really didn't have a nice shine. Just my opinion. Also, has anybody ever tried spar urethane for a pen finish? This is supposed to have about the best UV protection, so the wood retains it's color. I have not tried it, but wondered how it would work for stabilizing woods whose colors are light sensitive.

wayneis

Most of the that I can think of that you would want to retain the color will be to dense for stabilazation. The best person to answer your question would be Steve White at River Ridge Products. www.rrpwhite.com He has a business and stabilizing wood is a part of it. I've sent him blanks and am very impressed with the outcome. In fact after the first of the year I need to send him a bunch more.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom