Poly Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

I am a novice penturner (a total of 5 under my belt) and I have played with a few different approaches to finishes. One topic I have not seen discussed much here is the use of polyurathane. The only positive discussions seem to focus on Enduro products.

I have been into woodworking for more than 20 years with a focus on furniture just getting my first lathe a few months ago. For the past year or two I have been quite pleased with a gel poly product called Petri Gel Poly Finish for my furniture projects. I have tried it on two of my pens and am pleased with the results so far. I have applied it with a paper towel with the lathe off and then used a clean paper towel with the lathe running to buff out the finish. I then let the finish cure for a few hours and repeat for a total of 3 coats. Has anyone else tried this product or other gel poly products? Are there drawbacks that I have yet to encounter?
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Richard, you will encounter a lot of different opinions, all based on valid personal experience. Even 'no finish' is considered a finish. Most pen turners aim for a very high gloss on their barrels. The other consideration is durability.

I have not tried gel poly myself. I use water based poly instead on most of my pens. So far I have very good results.

Do you get a high-gloss finish with the Petri gel? And, are you satisfied with the results?

RPM

Doug,
The Petri product can be buffed to a mirror finish. Given my vast experience with only 2 pens, I am working out the best method to achieve this. At this point I have acheived a "gloss" finish that has everyone that I have shown wanting one by using only a paper towel. I believe that with a buffing wheel or even some EEE after the urathane has cured (the wheel on my buffer is shot) the desired results can be obtained. I plan to pursue further once I get a new wheel.
Richard

KKingery

RPM - When it comes to Poly, I always dip, using a 50/50 mixture of Poly & paint thinner. So far, no problems with the finish. I use a tip I learned here, about "helicoptering" the blanks after dipping, but before hanging to dry.

tipusnr

Where is this gel poly sold? Sounds interesting to me as I have always preferred wipe on finishes. (Too lazy to clean brushes and too small a shop for helicoptering.)

RPM

I get the Petri finish here in Atlanta at Highland Hardware as well as Stone Mountain Power Tool. I have seen it in several mail order catalogs. Highland Hardware has a website as well.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp

Richard

wayneis

There are a few gel poly's out there and I've tried and like them on furniture and some of my box's. As far as a pen goes that gets so much use I personally don't think that it will hold up to the wear and tear that a pen gets on a daily basis. The Enduro poly is something that I have been working on for several months and I really like the results. I've been able to get a depth along with a shine or gloss that I have not got with other finishes. One of the biggest reasons I choose the Enduro is because it is a commercial product developed for bar and table tops. The second reason was that CA finish made me sick.

Personally I've had great success with using Enduro and I think that it's one reason that I get the prices for my pens that I do.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom