Polishing Trustone and Gemstone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouisQC

As you know, I made two by now but I'm a tad disappointed by the shine. It came out matter than I wanted.

How do you folks polish the material?

I wet sanded with 320 and 400, then wet micromeshed to 12000. It wasn't shiny enough for me. I then used Hut's Plastic Polish. It has a nice lustre but lacks shinyness.

Maybe I didn't Micromeshed it long enough. About 30-45 seconds each grit.

Tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randbcrafts

Louis, don't know if this will help you much but here is the link to how I turn the tru-stone blanks. http://www.randbcrafts.com/turningtru-stone.html Some of the colors are more difficult to get a good shine on than others. The chilean lapis that you turned is one of them. You may try ren wax as a final finish to get a little more shine. Buffing on a buffing wheel may be a better way to go, although I don't have a wheel to try it out on.

OKLAHOMAN

I agree with Richard that the Chilean Lapis is a little harder to get a "shine" on but I will after M&Ming to 12000 use Brasso,then Maguires scratch remover and then Maguires auto plastic polish, hit it on the buffer white diamond, and get a very nice shine.

babyblues

Buffing wheels are definitely the way to go. Wet sand up to 600, then buff with tripoli, white diamond and I finish with blue rouge to polish it right up like glass.

Top Bottom