Polishing CA? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Just wanting to make the finish look a bit better. I'm using Titebond Thin CA for my finish. I have a pen on the lathe right now with 7 coats. Wanting to go up a step in finishing. No real problem with the blank and the finish itself.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 4

We use two coats of thin to seal the wood then about six coats of medium. Then micro mesh and buff with white diamond rouge. Always happy with the finish.

The medium i believe helps build up a deeper finish.
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 2

There are essentially three groups you can do this. Also worth noting overlapping methods is NOT a good idea and often shows a lack of education and experience

A) Buffing. Uses liquid, dry or paste to polish.

B) micromesh. This is taken from the automotive industry. It uses wet sanding to remove particles that can and will scratch the substrate.

C) friction compounds. This is the old wood working methods of liquid or paste polished that include abrasive particles. Think of this as liquid sandpaper. Some of the products in this group builds up surface layers to fill in the gaps and erode quickly over time making the shine dull and ugly.

Each one can easily achieve the desired results.

The better argument (not which method is “better”) is which method yields the best appearance for the product.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Just wanting to make the finish look a bit better. I'm using Titebond Thin CA for my finish. I have a pen on the lathe right now with 7 coats. Wanting to go up a step in finishing. No real problem with the blank and the finish itself.
I think the question is who is to say your finish technique is not good right now?? Are you comparing this to someone elses projects or how do you know what better looks like?? There are so many methods of finishing a simple pen it makes your head spin. No one method is better than an other. Maybe you can get better with what you got. Unless someone stands over your shoulder and sees first hand we will never know. So what does a bit better look like?? Have no idea.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use 16 coats of Medium CA with a spritz of accelerator between coats. I then use all colors of padded, wet MicroMesh. I store my MM in a 16oz container of water.

My $0.02 US
Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

John T., from the other John T., I noticed what is called in enameling, orange peel, or a rough texture to the CA finish. Not sure what caused it but feel it can be polished out. 0hy other CA finishes look good upon close inspection.
tomas, I do the same as your second sentence with acrylic blanks then the liquid polish.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
John T., from the other John T., I noticed what is called in enameling, orange peel, or a rough texture to the CA finish. Not sure what caused it but feel it can be polished out. 0hy other CA finishes look good upon close inspection.
tomas, I do the same as your second sentence with acrylic blanks then the liquid polish.
Are you using accelerator?? Most times that is the problem. If spray bottle may come out less atamized than can. Spiting through nozzle. Too close to blank. Wrong match of products. Oil on the blank. If you have one or two coats and then it happens I bet accelerator. Did not let bottom coat dry long enough and the materia is oily. If blo used to pop grain this needs to dry and cure first before top coating. That is all I got.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Take a look at the Stick Fast CA polishes. Follow the directions and no more wet sanding through 12,000 grit CA. Wasn't a believer until I tried it. Works on Acrylics also and smells like tooth paste.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Again, thanks for your replies and advice! Will take care with my finishes and be sure to eliminate the glitches that I might be causing.
Mr. Vic, did Zebulon Pike really take a peek at the peak?
Logged on members can hide ads