Polishing a bolt action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodtwister

Hello all I'm new to this, I made a bolt action pen with deer antler how does a guy go about polishing the metal parts of the pen after it's Assembly. Are there special tools that may need to be purchased. Thanks to all responses..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You do not want to polish kit parts.:eek: If you are talking about the blank, and you do not want to take it apart then just some car wax and hand polish. But be careful getting on the kit parts. It could discolor them.

By the way Welcome to the site

Woodtwister

Buff out

What happened was I got a little scratch,mark on the primer end of my bolt action part and wax wondering if you can buff it out.

thewishman

You may be able to. Many platings on pen parts are not very thick, so removing the scratch may also remove the plating. If you proceed, start with the lightest polishing and more up to heavier polishing until the scratch is removed. If you start out too heavy, you may cut too much.

KenV

Many of the pens have hardware with a thin clear coat over the plating. The copper primer on the bolt action,Mimi I am looking at appears to have such,a coating.

The coating will make buffing out the scratch very difficult.

vakmere

You do not want to polish kit parts.:eek: If you are talking about the blank, and you do not want to take it apart then just some car wax and hand polish. But be careful getting on the kit parts. It could discolor them.

As well as make the pen too slippery to write with by getting polish or wax on the parts your fingers hold the pen with.

Top Bottom