Plexi - first shot ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

beamer

I'd worry about using sandpaper for that because sandpaper will come off with it and you'll have sanding grit in there with the powder. Now, it probably wouldn't dissolve in the acetone and may just settle out so this might be an issue at all. Just something I had hesitated to do. Maybe a microplane?

I kind of fell off the plexi wagon for a little while. I have started building a new workbench and that's been keeping me off the lathe lately. Hopefully i'll get back to turning stuff and will be able to provide better details of my experiences :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjenk02

Originally posted by jtate
Also how does the plexi method compare to the dipping in lacquer method? I'm really liking this dipping in lacquer method. Time consuming but SOOOOO easy!

Julia, I have carried, and used, the pen you sent me everyday since I got it (Lacquer finished for those who don't know, PITH)and the finish is as good looking as the day I received it.....

Thanks Terry,
I have a mixture working in my shop.. didn't check it yesterday to see if it had dissolved yet... Sat. it was beginning to.
I like the finish on your pens... the CA finish is great, but I do have some problem with the fumes and nearly always get it on my fingers.. one of these days they are going to get glued together... I'm a little messy in the shop.[:D]

Terry,
How long will the Plex-acetone mixture last.. I have mine in a pint salsa jar.. it's about texture of medium to thick CA.. will cold and hot tempatures affect the mix.. it's not cold here as compared to say Minnesota or Oklahoma, but the temps are in mid to low 30's today... yesterday it was 72..

C. Scott

I have also tried the Plexi finish (after reading Terry's post last year). I used the thin syrup consistency and noticed that it produced a beautiful shine. HOWEVER, I don't believe it is as hard as CA and it (for me) takes longer since I now use accelerator with my CA finishes. The first time I used plexi the finish was darn near perfect. However when I inspected the pen after 24 hours, I noticed the grain texture rising through the finish. I actually liked the result, wood grain but a tough finish.

One other issue that I have had with the plexi finish is how fragile the ends of the blank are. I had to basically part it off of the bushings and hold my breath to reduce damaging the finish on the edges.

That being said I believe it has its place in a pen turner's repitoire (sp?) of finishes.

Regards,

Chris

TBone

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Terry,
How long will the Plex-acetone mixture last.. I have mine in a pint salsa jar.. it's about texture of medium to thick CA.. will cold and hot tempatures affect the mix.. it's not cold here as compared to say Minnesota or Oklahoma, but the temps are in mid to low 30's today... yesterday it was 72..

I can't answer specifically for Terry but I think he told me his current mixture was over a year old. He gave me some of the thinned mixture and I've had it for 2-3 months and I can tell no difference from the day I received it. I would think as long as it's closed to air, you're fine. If some of the acetone evaporates, just add a little more.

I tried the mixture tonight on my bottle stoppers.. the acetone makes the mixture cold... and it didn't help that my shop was at about 38 or 40.. still got to work on the technique.. I think I will like the finish when I get better at it.

Rmartin

Cool beans! Plexy on wood! Terrific idea, and I would imagine it would be a long lasting finish, but won't it scratch easily? Or dull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom