Please help! Ca finishing problem near bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andyww

I swiched to a medium ca finish instead of a thin and the finish is coming out better than ever, however, on occasion when I am taking the bushings off the barrels, it wrinkles the edges of the finish and creates a cloudy effect. Before I use the micromesh on the ca finish, I take a razor and put low pressure near the edge of the bushings while the lathe is on low speed. That way the bushings come off easily because the finish is so thick. This is when it can go bad. The edges ( less than 1mm) of the barrels are white/cloudy instead of clear. It ruins the entire pen. Please help. What can I do to solve this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

One possible solution is to use "Cone shaped" delrin bushings. Like this. You can make your own from delrin. If they get coated with CA, just dunk them in acetone for a day or so to clean off the CA. This works with CA bottle nozzles too!

Oh added later: It is a good idea to lightly mill / sand off the ends of the barrel(s) to remove any "bumps" on the end of the barrel

Last edited:

OZturner

Andy, Firstly let it dry off before you try to remove the Bushes.
When completely Touch Dry, if the Bush won't easily come out of the Blank, then Hold the Blank, with the Stuck Bush away from your hand, swing your hand, and hit the corner edge of the Bush moderately hard against the Bed of your Lathe.
The impact will loosen the Bush, and will not damage the Blank, Bush nor your Lathe Bed.
If the Blank is too small to hold and swing, then I fit a Pen Punch into the blank, and swing as above using the added Length, usually with my Index Finger on the Blank, to stop it getting thrown across the room.
Works for Me.
Brian.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmmm ... some lathe beds are cast iron, which wouldn't fare too well getting smacked with steel bushings. I'ld recommend the work surface or old table top. (If you get caught by your wife denting her brand new kitchen tables and countertops, you're on your own, buddy!)

When applying a CA finish, I like to score the ends of the barrels, RIGHT WHERE THEY MEET THE BUSHINGS ... I do this at the 1000 grit wet sanding stage. I follow up with micromesh and polish, and find that I rarely have to do more than tap on the bushings to break away the CA that has managed to seep down between the bushing and the barrel blank.

JimB

I don't use bushings at all when applying a CA finish. I mount the blank between the live center and the dead center. Don't tighten it too much or you will flair the tubes. Apply the ca finish. This allows you to get right to the edge. If you get ca on the centers it can be removed with acetone.

mecompco

I don't use bushings at all when applying a CA finish. I mount the blank between the live center and the dead center. Don't tighten it too much or you will flair the tubes. Apply the ca finish. This allows you to get right to the edge. If you get ca on the centers it can be removed with acetone.

I second this method! If you're going to wet sand, this also seals the ends so that moisture won't get under the finish. You do have to square the ends when you're done.

Regards,
Michael

wouldentu2?

A little wax on the bushings and taking the bushings off the tube to clean the tube end maybe every 6 coats and then remounting eliminates this problem. I tried the tapered delrin bushings but found they interfered with the consistent application of the CA at the tube end ( the wiping of the CA to the end of the tube). I have made maybe 100 pens like this and no longer have that problem.

jttheclockman

Hello Andy

You got the right advice about finishing between centers and this can be done with the metal dead and live centers or making delrin cone shaped centers. I prefer the later and that is what I do. You mention the CA is thick. This should never be. When you turn the blank you over cut it a couple thousands so you do not need to build up so much. I will finish MM the blank before I sand the ends down. I do this because I wet sand when using MM. I then add a very thin coat of thin CA after I sand the ends to prevent any moisture migrating under the CA finish and clouding the ends. I believe what you are seeing is a fracturing of the finish on the ends and the above will clear that. Good luck.

Top Bottom