plastic polish - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Being new to turning, and trusting the advice and comments made by those more experienced turners, I just spent my weekend trying to find a supplier of Grade AAA powdered elk horn. Have not found a supplier yet, but I will try again Monday when stores reopen. The good news is that I did find that left handed smoke shifter I have been searching for since I was in the Boy Scouts.

Thanks for the observations and insight as well.

Gary Zakian
Gary Zakian is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 29

Turn with a sharp skew. MM 1500-12000. BlueMagic Head Light Restorer (microfiber clothe), PLASTX by Meguiar's (microfiber clothe), and then finish with Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish (Cotton T shirt).

BTW: Paper Towel is made from wood pulp, should never touch a finished surface. Should also not clean your glasses with it. Polycarb and wood don't make for good friends.
ROOKIETURNER is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Zakian View Post
Being new to turning, and trusting the advice and comments made by those more experienced turners, I just spent my weekend trying to find a supplier of Grade AAA powdered elk horn. Have not found a supplier yet, but I will try again Monday when stores reopen. The good news is that I did find that left handed smoke shifter I have been searching for since I was in the Boy Scouts.

Thanks for the observations and insight as well.

Gary Zakian
You will find most that reputable five & dimes will carry the elkhorn!

Texatdurango is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texatdurango View Post
You will find most that reputable five & dimes will carry the elkhorn!
Five & dime Now that is way too outlandish to believe More like $10 & $20. I'm beginning to think you are pulling our legs?
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 275

There is a lot of BS...I mean best shine here!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

Photos: 93

With all the BS going on here, at least we have a use for all that Bounty paper towel we bought for apply the Novus and Meguiars! :)
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Photos: 38

I use Novus 2 scratch remover and then MAAS metal polish. I use just a small amout, both containers go a long way.

"I found out there wern't too many limitations, if I did it my way." [Johnny Cash]

2nd Place - 2011 Edible Pen Contest
Ranger (2001 -2011) Our Beloved Shelty
John Carlisle 71112
www.jcwoodpens.com
Rangertrek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #38 (permalink)

Photos: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussFairfield View Post
For all of those who use paper towels for polishing plastics and finishes, I would suggest switching to new cotton flannel. The few grit particles that are left over from the manufacturing process of the paper toweling are larger than the grit particles in the polish. There aren't many particles in a good quality paper, but it only takes one of them to leave that unexplained scratch in the finish.

I said new flannel, because any detergent residual from washing can scratch the surface; and drying will harden the ends of the cotton fibers, and that too can scratch the surface.

Here are words to live by. I used viva paper towels which were doing great. Then one day I ran out and decided hey my blue shop towels feel as soft. Well I kept getting scratch marks and I kept figuring well maybe I did not micromesh good enough so back on the lathe and looked at the finish after mm and everything looked great and went to put polish on and again same thing. We after the 3rd time it hit me that the towels are too abrasive. Switched to some flannel pads I had from some flat work polishing and have never looked back.

I can remember when I first joined here all the rage was about a product called micro finish and how everyone was using it. Well I tried it back then and continue to use the 2 step process today and am very happy with the results.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #39 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texatdurango View Post
Grade AAA powdered elk horn mixed at 5:1 with parrifin cut with 20% DNA and 8% linseed oil by volume (not by weight) then sifted through 600TC Egyptian cotton cloth. I store the mixture in quart jars sealed with Ball #36 rubber sealed lids (the blue rubber works best). Apply with flannel cloth while lathe is turning at exactly 2250 rpm (any faster and the compound melts so be careful)
my brain still trying to figure what tha hek of a mix is that,or is it a bomb recipe.
Pen&FishingCT is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads