Pipe/spoons/shaving dishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gulfmedic1

hey all
just need some advise or point me to a thread with the information.
I need to know what would be a good finish for a pipe that i am making, as well as a shaving soap bowl and last but not least spoons for wooden coffee scoops.
thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

hey all
I need to know what would be a good finish for a pipe that i am making, as well as a shaving soap bowl and last but not least spoons for wooden coffee scoops.
thanks

I assume you're talking about a tobacco pipe? You have to be careful about what you use on smoking pipes. I would head right on over to Pipe Smokers Forum. There is a sub forum about pipe-making. Do a quick search and/or join and ask you're question. You'll find tons of info.

mecompco

Did you find any info about finishing your pipe? Some people actually prefer a "naked" pipe, as the briar will naturally color from absorbing the tobacco and the oils from ones hands (sort of like a Meer does). Whatever you choose must be non-toxic as the finish can leech through the briar (or whatever wood you used) into the bowl. Whey you get it done, please do post a pic. I have a couple of briar ebouchons that I plan, one of these days, to try carving into pipes.

dogcatcher

On my pipes I sand to 1200 grit and buff with EEE and wax and buff with carnauba wax. No other finish, the wax does wear off and natural body oils replace it.

Never made a soap dish, but if I did I think I would try something like Systems Three Epoxy to finish it. The finish epoxy finish should do it, but to be sure I would do some time on the boat forums reading about Systems Three and it's uses.

gulfmedic1

hey all
thanks

I assume you're talking about a tobacco pipe? You have to be careful about what you use on smoking pipes. I would head right on over to Pipe Smokers Forum. There is a sub forum about pipe-making. Do a quick search and/or join and ask you're question. You'll find tons of info.

thanks Ill go take a look and see what they say

Top Bottom