pen dipping finish - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I just finished assembling my first dipped pen. I turned the blanks and sanded with 180 Abranet radially with lathe running and horizontally with the lathe stopped. I then did the same with 400 Abranet. I plugged the ends, dipped them and hung them up to dry. The temperature in my shop was about 50 degrees. I don't know how much that affects anything but they dried for two days before assembling. I only dipped once. I should, perhaps, have gone over the first coat with steel wool and given a second coat. Being in a hurry and not wanting to heat the shop I did not. There is a small blemish near the nib. Am not sure what happened there but overall I am satisfied. I will use it as my every day carry pen.
Attached Thumbnails
1-20171228_135228.jpg   2-20171228_134913.jpg   3-20171228_133831.jpg   4-20171228_213453.jpg   5-20171229_124438.jpg  

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
Rockytime is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had the same issue with the same product. Les switched me to water based oil modified polyurethane since it dried quicker. That did the trick, I think you could do the same with wipe on poly since it is thinner.

One modification that I made was using a synthetic wine cork instead of the wood as a plug. Itís a little more pliable so it grabs better.
ajollydds is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajollydds View Post
I had the same issue with the same product. Les switched me to water based oil modified polyurethane since it dried quicker. That did the trick, I think you could do the same with wipe on poly since it is thinner.

One modification that I made was using a synthetic wine cork instead of the wood as a plug. Itís a little more pliable so it grabs better.
I'll give the water based a try. Thanks.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default Durability

How does the durability of poly compare to CA? I was under the impression that you almost have to use CA if you want a long lasting finish that can stand up to repeated handling.
ghansen4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghansen4 View Post
How does the durability of poly compare to CA? I was under the impression that you almost have to use CA if you want a long lasting finish that can stand up to repeated handling.
I'll answer in a couple of years. This pen has been daily carry for two years or longer. It has a poly finish.
Attached Thumbnails
2-20170716_135724.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hereís one I did awhile ago. One dip in KBS, but I do fill and level with CA first.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

thanks for all the responces and pictures,,going to home depot tomorrow to get some poly and give it a try,,,,lol,,I will get back and let everyone know the outcome,,,
Old 12-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Poly, lacquer, others and CA each have different characteristics and drawbacks. Poly in many instances get hard and last long; however there are times when polys take longer to harden, usually cooler weather and higher humidity. The curing does not seem as durable in these cases. CA might be a tad finicky at lower temps (below 60į) with high humidity, but not near that of poly and other finishes. Slow curing CA will still cure to a good hardness over a couple of days, but slow curing poly over a few days does not harden like the CA. Poly needs to cure in a few hours to 24 hours or it will not be as durable, IMO. I am not a scientist or engineer but I these are the characteristics I have noticed from personal experience.

The main disadvantages to "other" than CA finishes for pen making in general is - the time it takes. There is nothing wrong with long finishing times, unless you get used to the quickness of a CA finish. Kinda ruins ya!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 12-29-2017 at 10:21 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Here is my quick and dirty finishing station in my laundry room. The nice thing about poly is that it is low odor, so I can dip my pens indoors and not have to worry about temperature.

The blanks are held by synthetic wine cork with screw eyes.

ajollydds is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Just saw this post so I figured I'd add my $.02 as I haven't posted in a while. I started using a dipping method similar to Les Elms method that can be found in the library. I've included a few photos, my bushing setup, the product I use and the finished product. The Cocobolo pen has sanded and leveled using a sanding sealer and then dipped twice, rotating the blanks after the first dip. Any other questions ask away, thanks
P.S. My drying setup is similar to the one in the photo above.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
dipping-method.jpg   dsc09015-2-.jpg  
Attached Images

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads