Old micro mesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I didn't know MM could wear out. I guess I need to replaced my pads that are several years old...but still seem to work well.

If your pads are worn out then their useful life is over. If they will polish nibs then they aren't worn out. Try them and see.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I just replaced my micro mesh pads. Are there any uses for worn out MM? Can I use the finer grits to polish nibs?
Thanks

SteveG

Don, I think that once you replace, you will be convinced that MM does indeed wear out after a while. Once you replace your ancient pads (donate to a museum??), you will see a marked difference in your efficiency and results. The very fine abrasive wears out very slowly, so you become lulled into thinking that it may be something suitable to pass on to your children.:eek::rolleyes: Please do not do that to them.:wink:

Skie_M

I tend to wear out my MM pads quite badly when sanding harder corners ... it tears through the abrasive and the adhesive layer, right into the white pad underneath. I use the set from Hobby Lobby ... around 10 dollars for 6 double-sided pads ... 3200, 3600, 4k, 6k, 8k, 12k.

Right now, I'm on my second set of pads ... the lower grits get worn out first, as I use really light pressure with the highest, to get the finest finish possible. So, my first set is missing the 3200 and 3600, but the higher grits are still usable, so I put them to use with things that are a bit harsher than what I put my new MM pads through, like sanding on stone inlay blanks or metal inlay.

I also picked up some craft foam from Hobby Lobby as well as their sheets of micromesh. It's an interesting pack, starts from 320 grit and goes up to 12,000. I plan to make my own custom sized micromesh pads from them, and see how well they hold up in durability as well as cost compared to just buying the pre-made pads.

Top Bottom