Ok, I'll admit when I'm wrong - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
jttheclockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ, USA.
Photos: 83

Default

methods, no right and wrong just different.
__________________
John T.
Likes: (1)
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 467
Photos: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
methods, no right and wrong just different.
In this case I was just flat wrong lol Then again, there are better products on the market now that certainly make it less risky to do in a hurry I suppose.
McKenzie Penworks is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
edstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No longer confused....
Photos: 2

Default

As I have stated numerous times facts are facts and not subjected to opinions. If a fact shows method A uses more CA than method B then method A is better than method B if you are discussing amount of CA needed.
__________________
Anyone can COPY, it takes a *TRUE ARTIST* to CREATE

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
Likes: (1)
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northwest IN
Posts: 732
Photos: 0

Default

I switched from paper towels to little component bags, and apply at about 350 rpm with no splash. I didn't do well with accelerators either, but when I switched to Mercury Flex Mike (mecompco) suggested that it is formulated to work best with their accelerator between coats. Sure enough--it's a beautiful thing!!

Tim--wood is nice and usually my preferred medium, and turn all you want...just don't stop making your blanks!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 467
Photos: 21

Default

The component bag is really brilliant from a business standpoint too. You've already bought the bag with the kit so save yourself a few pennies. I'll have to give it a shot and see if it works as well as the nitrile finger cots. No worries Early, DiamondCast will be around a while. I've got that minisplit heat pump in the shop to pay for after all!
McKenzie Penworks is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
edstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No longer confused....
Photos: 2

Default

A good and proper accelerator, not acetone based, is imperative for a great finish. Heptane, Naphtha etc makes great accelerators that will not damage the CA. Remember acetone dissolves CA and eats plastic and metal alike. Yet itís used as an accelerator. Also acetone is very harsh in the polymerization cycle.
__________________
Anyone can COPY, it takes a *TRUE ARTIST* to CREATE

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 178
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstreet View Post
A good and proper accelerator, not acetone based, is imperative for a great finish. Heptane, Naphtha etc makes great accelerators that will not damage the CA. Remember acetone dissolves CA and eats plastic and metal alike. Yet itís used as an accelerator. Also acetone is very harsh in the polymerization cycle.
I know this is an older thread but just ran across the idea of using naphtha as an accelerator. Would I use the big box product and apply with a little spray bottle?

Last edited by ramaroodle; 12-17-2018 at 04:06 PM.
ramaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Sylvanite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hillsborough, North Carolina, USA.
Posts: 2,908
Photos: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaroodle View Post
I know this is an older thread but just ran across the idea of using naphtha as an accelerator.
CA glue is acidic and polymerizes with the addition of a mild base (pretty much anything with an -OH ion).

If you look at the MSDS for factory accelerator, you'll see that in addition to the naphtha, heptane, hexane, butane, or acetone, they contain (typically around 1%) an amine such as n, n-dimethyl-p-toluidine. That's the ingredient that promotes the polymerization. The other 99% is just a carrier.

You can try using straight naphtha, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work well.

I hope that helps,
Eric
Sylvanite is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 178
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaroodle View Post
I know this is an older thread but just ran across the idea of using naphtha as an accelerator.
CA glue is acidic and polymerizes with the addition of a mild base (pretty much anything with an -OH ion).

If you look at the MSDS for factory accelerator, you'll see that in addition to the naphtha, heptane, hexane, butane, or acetone, they contain (typically around 1%) an amine such as n, n-dimethyl-p-toluidine. That's the ingredient that promotes the polymerization. The other 99% is just a carrier.

You can try using straight naphtha, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work well.

I hope that helps,
Eric
So, something branded as "accelerator" is a better choice?
ramaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
magpens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Photos: 75

Default

Andy,

I am interested in the possibility of using an alternative to the factory accelerators, if only because the alternative is potentially a lot cheaper.

For that reason, I am following this thread. . I hope you will post any conclusions you come to as the result of your experimentation.

One thing I am wary of is what I have experienced myself, namely that the accelerator recommended for one brand of CA does not always work satisfactorily for a different brand of CA. . Among other concerns, I am puzzled by why that should be the case.

Another thing I am wary of, and concerned about, is playing around with all those nasty chemicals. . I am not a chemist but I am quite sure that acetone, naphtha, and the other things mentioned are potentially quite harmful.
__________________
Mal

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !






magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2019 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy