Oil stain and CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Mike

I have used pigmented oil stains on pens with ca finish, but allowed the stain to cure before the ca finish. I allowed the cure to assure the solvents were gone and to be able to adjust the pigment levels.

CA finish did just fine.

cjester

Same here - no problems with CA over stain, as long as the stain was fully set & dry. I'm usually not in a big hurry, so I probably let the stain sit a couple days.

NJ Mike

Outstanding! Thank you. I have some mahogany and finished raw it just doesn't "pop." I'll try the stain and, oh yes, let it cure for a while. Thanks.

WriteON

Outstanding! Thank you. I have some mahogany and finished raw it just doesn't "pop." I'll try the stain and, oh yes, let it cure for a while. Thanks.

Welcome aboard. Mahogany is beautiful. Show it when it's finished.

NJ Mike

Will do. I hope to get to it this weekend. I stained the mahogany last week and it's been drying since.

Just for what it's worth... When in doubt, use a barrier coat. Sealcoat is an excellent product to put between oil based finishes/stains and a top coat. I used it with my drums when I sprayed water based lacquers. For an awesome "natural" finish I'd use a coat of Waterlox modified tung oil, then Sealcoat, then my top coat. Have to imagine it'd work on a pen just fine.

Top Bottom