Oil finish - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Oil finish

I am turning my first doe grunt call and the documentation on the kit says to use an oil finish of my choosing on it. Just thought I would get some opinions on what might be the best oil finish for this type of project.
joe966 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like the walnut oil sold for finishing bowls, or the Tru-Oil gunstock finish.

I avoid boiled linseed oil as it continues to darken over time becoming almost black.

(The walnut oil sold in food stores is not the good studd for finishes)
Old 09-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

An oil finish can mean just about any film forming finish (poly, varnish, etc) oil varnish blends, wiping varnish or straight penetrating finish (Tung or walnut). Would think poly or varnish might provide the best protection.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been using teak oil on my game calls for year, decades. I buy Watco, it easy to find at the big box stores. First coat, I dilute with mineral spirits about 50/50 to get a good penetration of the finish. Subsequent coats at 48 hour intervals. This is the best guide on the Internet. https://www.firearmsforum.com/firearms/article/3037
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Tru-oil contains linseed oil.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstreet View Post
Indeed it is made from linseed oil, but uses a different process of partial polymerization. It was known as stand oil in years of yore. Because it is partially polymerized by heat in the absence of oxygen, it completes the process of curing differently than the reaction with chemical dryers in BLO.

Tru-Oil is on a lot of firearms, and is an accepted finish for many shooters who are likely to purchase a call.
KenV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 61

I've been using true oil. I really like how it finishes. And so far it's been waterproof.

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Tru-Oil is overpriced, and not that good for a game call. I have been making predator and duck calls since 1964. From experience hunters take better care of their weapons than they do their game calls. If they treated their weapons like they do game calls, some would have to replace their weapon every few years.

I have tried every finish known to man, and some concoctions that I created myself. The easiest and the best I have found are the oil based varnishes. Next would be spar varnish using a dipping method, but it can be a pain to get consistently until you have some experience at it.

A fair warning, after awhile your teak oil will go bad on you, throw it away, you can try to save it, but it is not worth the expense. Oxygen "spoils" the mix, you can play with the various methods to keep the oxygen out of the can, but like I said, in my case my time and the expense was not worth it. I bought the pint cans of Watco teak oil, usually threw bout half away. Back when I was retailing I would make 48 to 72 at a time and finish the calls with 3 to 4 coats. Dip, then hand wipe the next coats.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Linseed oil VS Tung oil

Tung oil has better water resistance than does linseed oil, according to The Finishing Store.com. For this reason, tung oil is often used on outdoor furniture. Both linseed oil and tung oil dry to thin, satin finishes.

Boiled linseed oil contains drying agents, whereas tung oil does not, so linseed oil dries faster. Tung oil requires sanding between each coat, whereas linseed oil only requires sanding after the first coat. Boiled linseed oil can go rancid, whereas tung oil cannot, according to Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement. An advantage of boiled linseed oil is that is cheaper than tung oil. Tung oil does not yellow over time.

Last edited by farmer; 10-02-2016 at 10:49 AM.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Quote:

I have tried every finish known to man, and some concoctions that I created myself. The easiest and the best I have found are the oil based varnishes. Next would be spar varnish using a dipping method, but it can be a pain to get consistently until you have some experience at it.
I believe spar varnish is oil based.
corgicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads