Odd fact about lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Ran across an unusual fact about nitrocellulose (ie, lacquer).

Check this out.

Used on wooden products, furniture primarily, and on musical instruments and other objects to give a shiny outer protective coating. Also used to make Magician's "flash paper", sheets of paper or cloth made from nitrocellulose, which burn almost instantly, with a bright flash, and leave no ash.

Don't try to smoke those cigar pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Nitrocellulose once dried is basically guncotton, the primary ingredient in most smokless gunpowers and rocket solid fuel engines. It is very sensitive stuff, and most finishes produced in this century are treated specifically to make it more stable. Most are quite successful, to the point that the dried final product is not unusual flammable. However if you are using a "Vintage" finish or replicating an old recipe, be carefull.

James

Tn-Steve

Many many years ago I used to do some stage magic, one of my openings was to come on stage pretending to read a note from the producer. I made some comment, set it on fire, and tossed it into the air, where the ball of flames became a bunch of flowers. Got everybodys attention. Then came the night when the flash paper got entangled in the "magic flowers", and the whole thing came down to the stage in a ball of flames.

Took that out of my act that night.

Steve

Top Bottom