Novuspolish #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

I just came to the realization last night that my plastic polish is disturbing my CA finish. Just want some ideas on what I can do here.

My finish goes something like this

Sand to 600
Micromesh to 12,000
Ca/Blo - Thanks Wil (about 3 or 4 coats)
re Micromesh (depending on how well I apply)
Plastic Polish to remove super fine scratches
Hut Crystal Coat Friction Polish
Renaissance Wax

I stopped before and after Plastic polish and inspected the CA coat shine on my pen up against the light.

Before - full shine uniform coat
After - Some inconsistance matte finish spots appear.

Should I even be using a polish on wood with a CA/Blo finish?
I am polishing at about 1500 RPM is that too fast?
I am apply pressure like I would a friction polish. (building heat) Is that too hard?
Perhaps I am not allowing the CA/Blo finish to cure enough to handle the polish.
Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Manny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Manny,

One immediate thought is to allow the finish to cure overnight prior to polishing. If it helps, wonderful. If not, well........
Best reply I have seen to a CA problem post in a while! :good:

If more people were to SLOW down and realize that while the CA might be hard enough to sand and buff right away, it's NOT fully cured yet and your just smearing all those other chemicals in the polishes and buffing compounds all over the surface you are trying to make look like glass.

Manny

Yeah

I would suggest leaving out the Hut Crystal Coat Friction Polish step.

Yeah I think that step is just overkill I agree. Issue here was after Polish and before the Hut Crystal Polish so I don't think it is contributing to the problem per se. But I agree it is probably excess in the process as a whole.

And just for that comment I'm going to send you another order of CA!!!!! (ORDER SENT)

Manny

Last edited:

mdburn_em

I think the polish is removing any left over blo that is hanging around.

If you're using Novus #2, I would not call that a plastic polish. It has a grit rating of about 1,200 (according to the manufacturer). This would remove any benefit of the MM to 12,000 (2-3 micron grit(MM) vs 8-18 micron(Novus #2) (I don't know which scale they use to come up with the 1200 rating.))

Try some micro gloss instead. It's got a grit rating of 1 micron.

You definitely don't need the friction polish. You're CA finish should look better than any friction polish finish. The friction polish just covers up (for a very short time) any mistakes you've made in your CA finish.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just to add fuel to the fire.........Try Brasso metal polish on a soft cotton cloth after the CA and go sell it. Test it out and tell me if I'm crazy.

CaptG

Listen to George, I have one of his pens that I got in a pen swap a couple YEARS ago. It is my daily writer and carry pen. It has been used, abused, dropped and other than wiping it off once in a while, no special care. The finish still sparkels, no cracks or dull spots. I have recieved no reimbersment for this testimonial.

Texatdurango

Listen to George, I have one of his pens that I got in a pen swap a couple YEARS ago. It is my daily writer and carry pen. It has been used, abused, dropped and other than wiping it off once in a while, no special care. The finish still sparkels, no cracks or dull spots. I have recieved no reimbersment for this testimonial.

Hey, I'm just another pen maker who tries to keep things simple. I figure the less chemicals I can introduce to the CA, the better. I have learned however, that the MOST important factor to consider if you sand and polish the blank, is to let the CA cure overnight before finishing it. I think it makes a real difference.

Gary, Speaking of daily writers..... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44111 recognize your cap anywhere? It now has a silicone seal! :biggrin:

Top Bottom