Not another CA finish thread! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post

Two issues I've seen in this pen both of which are only visible if the pen is inspected closely under bright light.

1) Several small scattered pits in the finish. I haven't really read much about those in other threads. I though I had put on enough coats to even out any grain holes. Any thoughts?
One big problem with counting the coats or thinking about putting on enough coats is that one is trying to guess how much is enough. That is kind of like the old adage of "a watched pot never boils", i.e. it takes a long time. Heavy deep grain pores must be filled. No, ifs, ands, or buts - if you want them "filled". A coat or two or three with thin CA and using paper towel will not fill it except by numerous applications. This is where medium and thick are necessary. There are different methods of applying medium and thick that do not use CA absorbing paper towel and will fill the pores. It might take a few minutes for the medium or thick CA to set up, but at least the pores will be filled.

As to paper towel, it finally dawned on me after 2 to 3 years that the paper towel was fighting the blank for CA and the paper towel was winning - meaning that 3 to 5 times as much CA was being absorbed by the paper towel than was getting onto the blank and into the pores. I didn't have time for that. I use an applicator to spread the CA so that 80 to 90% goes onto the blank and the pores are filled.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 10-08-2017 at 07:01 AM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

After sanding, I do one quick coat of thinned lacquer friction polish. I then apply a very thin coat of BO, and start applying CA glue. I usually add one tube per pen. Depending on pen size, that turns out to be 4 to 8 coats. I change the spot I am applying it from on my folded paper towel each coat. The BO seems to work like a catalyst, drying the CA glue faster. Or maybe it just seems like it.

Just recently started turning Acrylic. Gotta say, I love the fact that you don't have to mess with a finish, Changing the lathe speed, etc. Soo much faster.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post

As to paper towel, it finally dawned on me after 2 to 3 years that the paper towel was fighting the blank for CA and the paper towel was winning - meaning that 3 to 5 times as much CA was being absorbed by the paper towel than was getting onto the blank and into the pores. I didn't have time for that. I use an applicator to spread the CA so that 80 to 90% goes onto the blank and the pores are filled.

Interesting point regarding paper towel absorbing a large amount of glue. Makes sense and it would seem then that a lot of time and glue is wasted.

What do you use as an applicator instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

After the light going on with the paper towel fighting the pen for glue comment I went with what I had, Blue nitrile gloves (parts bags never worked for me either). I must say I use fewer coats, goes on more smoothly and requires less sanding.

Thanks, Hank!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads