"Nonstick" bushings: What am I doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

I've been using the Hold-Fast Nonstick Bushings for my CA finishes. There is just one-problem: The glue sticks! My finishing process involves sanding the blanks to 320. I then remove the steel bushings and replace with the Nonstick bushings. I do one quick coat with thin CA, and then I do five coats of medium CA followed by a spray of accelerator each. Each coat of CA consists of 7-8 drops, depending on the size of the blank. I do not wipe off or otherwise clean the bushings in between each coat of CA because...well...they're supposed to be "Nonstick." Yet invariably when I complete a blank/blanks, at least one of the Nonstick bushings is stuck to the barrel. Even worse, if I'm doing a two-barrel pen, sometimes it all gets stuck together as one, big mass, requiring me to use a utility knife or skew to separate it all. So what gives? Am I using too much glue? Am I using these bushings incorrectly? Is it possible that they have gotten old and the "nonstick" has worn out? There have been several occasions where I have had to carve dried, hardened CA glue off of the bushings because it has accumulated so much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jonlane71

Do you have a picture? Are the Nonstick bushings mounted with the tapered ends toward the blank? If the tapered ends are facing outward that might be your issue.

putnamm

You are using a lot of ca. I only use 1 drop of medium. If using thin 2 drops because it soaks into the paper towel. I do one barrel at a time.

This was my first thought. How many coats do you apply when using just one drop? Do you use accelerator, and if so how long do you wait between coats?

putnamm

Do you have a picture? Are the Nonstick bushings mounted with the tapered ends toward the blank? If the tapered ends are facing outward that might be your issue.

Yes, the tapered ends are toward the blank so that they fit somewhat in to the tube and hold the blank in position.

jttheclockman

Yes too much glue on each coat. It runs off the blank and onto the bushings and builds up. Not a case of sticking to the bushings but more sticking to the ends of the blank. keep working at it and learn as you practice. Something does not work try something else. 2 or 3 drops to get a smooth layer. A couple swipes back and forth and do not over play with it. Good luck. CA finishing is really not that hard.

JimB

You are using a lot of ca. I only use 1 drop of medium. If using thin 2 drops because it soaks into the paper towel. I do one barrel at a time.

This was my first thought. How many coats do you apply when using just one drop? Do you use accelerator, and if so how long do you wait between coats?

I do about 10 coats of thin. It is not an exact count. I add coats until I am happy with it. I would say the most i do is 12. If using medium ca it is about half that.

I actually do a BLO/ca finish, not just ca. I do not use accelerator. I also don't usually try to get that super high gloss finish as I prefer a softer look so I don't usually polish to a high shine.

Top Bottom