Non topcoat mirror finish on alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I am trying to find out the best way to get the shiniest finish to alumilite without using a topcoat finish like CA or polyurethane. I am also doing this on flat alumilite for a knife, not on a lathe. Has anyone had any luck with buffing certain ways, using fancy compounds, etc?

eharri446

I did an Alumilite pen for someone and I wet sanded it to 1000 grit, then switched to Micro Mesh 1500 to 12000 grit.

Finally I used a plastic polish while spinning the blank on the lathe and it came out with a high gloss shine. With knife blanks you would need some type of polishing set up. You can get a 3" set from Harbor freight for around $20.00.

KenV

James, I have been learning from the lutiers who make instruments of music shine.

They have some different approaches than the metal work guys.

Stewart MacDonald is a good place to look at less agressive polishing approaches.

Sylvanite

I presume you mean Alumilite Clear, not opaque Alumilite (which shines up fairly easily).

I've tried a number of approaches, including Novus polishes and buffing with Plasti-Glo. I finally settled on sanding to 600g, then buffing with tripoli, white diamond, blue buffing compound, and finally dry buffing with a canton flannel wheel. A light touch is required when buffing Alumilite - especially at the end. Otherwise, one can buff ripples into the surface.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom