No Gloss Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I have used CA exclusively up to this point, but I have a couple pens that I want to make with a no gloss finish. I want it to look like no finish. I was thinking about a BLO/CA finish as I have done this with success and no gloss. It will be antler that I'm finishing so I don't know how the traditional wood finishes would work. Does anyone have a good recommendation? If not, I think I will go with BLO/CA.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is a thread that I addressed the issue with "shine" and "No Shine "on CA. Shine can be regulated with the kind of finish also.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32496&highlight=shine

I don't know if I made it clear or not in that post but I took the "flat" finish up to a high polish so I could know for sure if the finish was totally smooth, then knocked it back down to make it "flat". I don't like hiding imperfections with flat finish. :wink:

Last edited:

KenV

Most finishes for flat work that produce a flat finish use silica in the finish to produce the difraction of light - providing a smooth finish that is not reflective. Can also be achieved with abrasives e.g steel wool and shellac.

I can get a light matte finish with the buffing if I use only a rouge buff.

Lee has it right -- bad work will show through the finish matte or gloss.

Top Bottom