Newbie Needs Help With Finishing!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I know there are as many finishing techniques as there are fish in the sea.....maybe more!!! That makes it extremely difficult for someone like me to get started off in the right direction.

My lathe came with a bottle of Crystal Coat which I have used on my first few pens. It's quick, easy to use and produces a decent finish; but I have read quite a bit to the effect that it does not hold up very well with regular use. The last thing I want to do is spend the time producing a nice pen, offer it as a gift or commercial product and then have the finish deteriorate after a short period of use. On the other hand, it is probably not practical to spend a long time to get an indestructible finish......is there a happy compromise??

I've seen "French polish" mentioned in some of the catalogs.....is this a good alternative or just another friction polish?? What about polyurethane finishes. I know polyurethane is used to finish lots of large project; but haven't seen much said about using it for pens.

I would love to find something that goes on quick, looks great and lasts forever.....wouldn't we all?? I also know that ain't going to happen!! A lot of people seem to use CA finishes......from my reading, that method doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons; but if it is really the best compromise, I'll bite the bullet and make it work for me.

What's a newbie to do??? Heeeeelllllppppp!!

Good is always better than quick!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Well, I'm a newbie as well, but I think your going to have to do just what I'm doing. Try several different methods and pick the one that your customer wants.

I was reluctant to use the CA at first, but I do like it now. I would still rather have a pen that feels like wood, but that is a personal preferance.

I have tried poly on my first couple, it's alright but you need to get some of the quick dry. Do a search in the finishing forum I know there was mention of one that has a sanding sealer and ploy combo that have a dry time of minutes, not hours.

Ryan

Randy_

Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />.....Try several different methods and pick the one that your customer wants......

That's real good advice down the road a bit when I have a bit more experience and am looking to make fine differentiations. But right now, it seems like a waste of my time to reinvent the wheel. Lots of people have already struggled with this problem and I'm not too proud to take advantage of what they have already learned. And the other problem is that I won't know for six months if my finishing technique is really any good.....if it isn't, then a lot of mediocre work has been put into circulation and I would prefer not to do that!!

Fred in NC

French Polish is shellac applied with a bit of olive oil (or boiled linseed oil) and is not much different from your Crystal Coat.

I use shellac for sealer, and then usually MinWax Polycrylic as a finish. It is a technique that has to be learned, just like the CA finish. I have posted about it recently. I have some pens out that I monitor every few months. The finish still looks good even with daily use.

KKingery

Randy, I'm kinda in the same boat as you....trying different types of finish, etc.....the only thing I've found so far that I'm happy with is the polyurethane. My method isn't a "quick" method though.....I use polyurethane, cut by 50% with paint thinner. I know alot of folks finish on the lathe, but I'm partial to the dip method. I've also been reluctant to try the CA method, but seems like it might be the next step.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This will sound self-serving, but it is a method at least 30-40 others on this site are using. Apply any undercoat you want (Hut Crystal Coat is fine), then top coat it with President's Choice. There's a lot of info on it...search this website for TSW or TSW-1121.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Randy...it is twice the size of the small. I say the small will do 50 pens, but that's conservative. BTW, for those of you experiencing PayPal problems, they have done some tweaking to my link so things should get better. Part of the problem is the secure link is very complex, BUT, I will not take ANY chances with the integrity of your information...EVER! If you continue to have problems wil PayPal, email me at DCBluesman@hotmail.com .

C_Ludwigsen

Randy, the 2 finishes I have had the best results for - with respect to durability - are CA and Lacquer. Epoxy is another option but I have not tried it yet. William Young may be able to help with that one.

The CA finish is an adhesive that cures to an acrylic type finish. It is VERY durable, moderately difficult to apply, and the most expensive option. It is also the only same day - instant gratification - finish that I consider durable and product worthy.

The pen I carry with me everyday - and have for the last 4 months, is finished with Deft Lacquer. There are both solvent-based lacquers and water-based. William Young has written great reviews of these. I am very pleased with this finish. It appears to be holding up as well as the CA pens I have out. It is not a same-day instant gratification finish. You have to apply a coat, wait a while (30 minutes or so), apply another coat, repeat wait and application for as many coats as you want to achieve the finish you want, then let the final coat cure overnight, polish with steel wool and buff up. It is also much less expensive than CA. A single pint can of Deft will probably last for more pens than I can turn in a year.

That said, I apply President's Choice as a wax topcoat over both CA and lacquer finishes.

If durability is your finishing concern, look to these. Oh, and I can show you how to make a Friction Polish finish last for a long time --- finish the pen, put it in a display tray and leave it untouched [;)].

Just make sure the tests are comparable - daily use over an extended timeframe.

If there are other equally durable finishes, I have not yet learned them.

jrc

Once I finished a shelving unit with poly but thinded it with laquer thinner and worked very good. Thin even coats and dried very fast. I've thought about trying it for a pen finish but never have yet.

G

I'm sold on Mylands 3 part system as a REAL close second to CA.
BTW I would not classify CA as moderately difficult.
Persnickity yes but definately NOT moderate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom