New finish testing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The majority of my testers have now had the product for a month. While many have posted pictures and results, I truly need the rest of you to let me know how it worked. There's a suggested format earlier in this thread. Thanks! [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottydont

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The majority of my testers have now had the product for a month. While many have posted pictures and results, I truly need the rest of you to let me know how it worked. There's a suggested format earlier in this thread. Thanks! [8D]

Everytime there is a post with a pic showing your finish I start to drool. I can't wait till you release it to the forum members! In the mean time I will sit on my hands.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Couple more pens:

the Cigar pen is an Ambroyna Burl from David Borek. The finish, well, I was trying something a local woodworker asked me to try. Its a combination (he says) of BLO/Poly/turpentine. I personaly wouldn't use it again but thats just me. To save it and get it to respectable in my opinion I then used DC's TSW potion.

The comfort pen is black/white ebony again from Borek. Used a light spray of shellac, then the Beal system (all three wheels) and then finished with DC's TSW potion.

Thanks for looking,
JohnPayton

2004111733113_cigar-01.jpg
<br />

2004111733145_Comfort-01.jpg
<br />

William Young

Hi Lou;
I am so embarrased to report this but I had asked you to send my sample to my USA address rather than my Canadian address because it would get there quicker.. Shortly after that we went on a camping trip to USA for several days and I picked up a bunch of mail at my US , PO box on my way through . I thought I had read all that mail and when we got home I took it all in the house. (at least I thought all of it). I have gone over the border a dozen different times since then and your sample was never there so I figured it had got lost in the mail.
So today I was taking my backup batteries out of the van and winterizing the plumbing etc. and guess what. There beside the water tank was your parcel. How it ever got in there I havn't a clue but it was sitting there all lonely and shivering in the cold ;-)
Now finally I can try your product but with all the positve results you have had so far , it appears as if it is a first rate product.
Sorry for the goof up on my part on missplacing the sample.
W.Y.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gee, William. I NEVER have those kinds of problems. [:D] I'm thinking of doing my first clock later this year. I'll probably let you off with a warning, as long as I can count on one free consultation. Anyway, I still value your opinion, so please let us know how it works for you. [8D]

William Young

Lou;
I finally got caught up with some orders of fretwork clocks and got back to turning a few more pens. I tried your product on a purpleheart and a teak and a dymondwood pen and the first thing that comes to mind is WOW ! ! [:)]
Rather than fill out a full report like so many others have I am going to take a shortcut and say that all the positive responses you have got so far are quite agreeable with me. I can't find any negatives in that product. I do WB laquer finishing on my pens and have been using Johnsons paste wax as a little extra protection as a final step The WB finish has a clear glass like finish and the paste wax would dull it ever so slightly. But with your product I didn't loose any of the inherent gloss in the WB laquer finish. It isn't easy to get a higher gloss than a clear glass like finish I get with WB laquer but I beleive your product actually did acheive a slightly higher degree of shine. That is the kind of final gloss and protection combination that I have not found in anyone elses product.
The nice smell of yours was also a surprise bonus.
I beleive you have a fine product there and I wish you every sucess with it.

I wiped these 3 with a kleenex just before taking the picture. That is what the white flecks are. I was too lazy to start over and wipe them with a lint free cloth like I should have done in the first place. Pictures sure have a way of showing up things that you don't see when you are actually taking it.
W.Y.
3pens.jpg

Doghouse

Here are some of the latest "PC" turnings.
20041123132655_wengewing.jpg

The stoppers and wing-ed bowl were overnight buffed

20041123132810_bubingholo.jpg

Bubinga hollow-form, dried 2 hrs and buffed

20041123132925_spaltpopplat.jpg
<br />

Spalted poplar platter (13" my largest yet) dried overnight and buffed.

20041123133129_smmapleburlbowl.jpg
<br />
Lastly, a small maple burl bowl with stoppers all dried over night. The "PC" can even be used on epoxy, I used it to enhance the turquoise on the paduk captive ring stopper.

Scottydont

Hi Lou. I just tried your new bug juice and man it is the best pen finish I have used yet! I have some pens I am turning for gifts and I will post pics when I am done. Thanks for a great product!

jimr

Lou, I was one of your very satisfied testers. When is your stuff going to be available or have I missed the grand opening? I do want to get it.
Jim R

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Can't wait to see your pics, Scott. And yes, Eagle, you were the first to suggest that name. Jim R and Greg, it's available in the Business Classifieds...Trade Secret for Wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom