New to CA finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I have been creeping around reading different posts here and there.

I have been using Hut friction polish for my pen finish so far and I am not a big fan so far and am looking for a more durable for finish. I just recently bought some micro mesh at my local Woodcraft. I have watched a few videos on YouTube on applying a CA finish.

Here is my possibly odd question. I also have the Rockler 5 grit sanding pack and it goes to 600 grit. The micro mesh starts at 1500 grit. Should I get any grits between 600 and 1500, or just jump to 1500 with the micro mesh?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You can from from 600 straight to micro mesh. The MM grit scale isn't really the same as the scale used for sandpaper. I know I have seen some charts on here comparing the two but I don't know where it is.

keithbyrd

Welcome to IAP - need to post some pictures of your pens! We have a rule - no picture - didn't happen!! So looking forward to some pics!
I go from 600 straight to the micromesh and have had no problems with a superfine polish!

Welcome to IAP - need to post some pictures of your pens! We have a rule - no picture - didn't happen!! So looking forward to some pics!
I go from 600 straight to the micromesh and have had no problems with a superfine polish!

I will definitely post some pics! I love pen turning so far. I have only turned about 15-20 pens and I think only 6 of them have turned out well enough to show people in person or give to friends. I am just now getting a few commissions from friends and family and that is why I want to go with a CA finish because it is much more durable (although fragile from what I have heard).

I will post updates of my adventures as I document them.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

rbrazil

I wet sand with the micromesh and wipe the blank between each grit, after about 3 coats of thin CA and 6 coats of medium. then finish with some plastic polish.

farmer

CA finish

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I have been creeping around reading different posts here and there.

I have been using Hut friction polish for my pen finish so far and I am not a big fan so far and am looking for a more durable for finish. I just recently bought some micro mesh at my local Woodcraft. I have watched a few videos on YouTube on applying a CA finish.

Here is my possibly odd question. I also have the Rockler 5 grit sanding pack and it goes to 600 grit. The micro mesh starts at 1500 grit. Should I get any grits between 600 and 1500, or just jump to 1500 with the micro mesh?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Here is the deal

I have a friend who is a well known professional cue maker that lives 25 minutes South of Seattle .
He is the only cuemaker that I know that does a CA finish on pool cues .
This might have allot to do with Washintons high humidity.

I just got off the phone with my friend asking him if he would teach you how to do a CA finish on a pen .

He said he would ....
PM me today if you want his phone number to make this happen .

Top Bottom