Need source for large jar for stabilizing blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

OK folks. Now that I have been stabilizing my own blanks for a couple of months I am ready the expand beyond the size of a standard mason jar. Does anyone have a resource for 1/2 gallon or gallon size glass jars that could be used form stabilizing blanks?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Mason jars can be had in one gallon size,you have to hunt,
Also Sams carries pickled eggs and pigs feet in large glass jars,
These are the type they carry in bars and party shops. You might me able to find an empty one at a local wattering hole.
You have probably found that the problem is getting a good seal.
What I have been doing is using the largest mason jar I can find and then putting my CC blanks in smaller jars so I don't need to use as much solution.
One of the isead I came up with was to cut the bottom put of a gallon cider jug and cut a redess in the a piece of"bread board plastic and pipe that for the vacuum pump.I cound then use plumbers putty to seal the jar to the base.
Haven't tried it yet but it's on the drawing borad.

tipusnr

I can second the effort on getting the pickle jar. I'm still trying to eat all the pickles (and I like pickles). The lid on mine isn't the best design for a seal but am going to try making a gasket. Good luck.

M

Mudder

I also use an old pickle jar of the gallon size. If you have any friends that own or work in a restaurant, that might be a good place to ask.

My lid did not look like it would seal well but I never had a problem with it.

Fred in NC

I am not sure what the strength of the glass in pickle jars is.
All I can say is that I will be very careful.

For the same amount of vacuum, that is, inches of mercury, the pressure on the jar wall depends on the area of the wall. So there is more pressure exerted on a large jar than on a small one. For that reason I don;t think I am going to go any larger than a 1/2 gallon size myself. I don't want the jar to 'implode' on me.

I think canning jars, known as MASON jars, are best, because they are designed for that purpose. I have seen large canning jars at WalMart, but they are not where they carry them in boxes. They are with storage containers for the kitchen. The main problem is finding the lids.

Talking about lids, if I cannot find the right size, I will probably TURN one in the lathe. About 3/4" thick, made so that there is a lip that fits on top of the glass edge, and some goes inside. I can cut a gasket from foam material (closed cell) that WalMart has in the crafts section. It is 9x12" for about half a buck each.

I already have the pump.

Daniel

Fred,
a pickle jar would have to be able to withstand the same vacume that a mason jar does. they are both sealed the same way. heated withthe lid loose and then tightened adn allowed to cool. I have seen jars crack from the heat. but not crush from the vacume.
this is not saying don't be careful. I would like to know what pressure a mason or other cannign jar can really take. I know the jars My mother canned had a vacume in them that was really strong and the jars took getting knocked around and bumped into each other for years.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />I am not sure what the strength of the glass in pickle jars is.
All I can say is that I will be very careful.

If the jar could not hold the vacuum they would have a hard time keeping the pickles from rotting in the jar. I've been using the process for a while now and have had no problems. As a side note: I have a bell jar at work that is made of 1/16" plastic and I regularly use it to vacuum inpregnate bronze bearings to 28" of vacuum.

jkirkb94

I agree that a large pickle jar would probably work. I am presently using a medium size without problem. I just was very careful as I added pressure up to about 20-25lb. As far as all those pickles...it is Christmas time![:D] Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom