Need lacquer help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eskimo

OK, I'm in the process of my first attempt at a lacquer finish, but I'm not sure when I will be done. Can I get some opinions on how many coats of lacquer is appropriate. I'm currently at 6 and the buildup hasn't exceeded the bushings. I'm putting this on a Red Mallee Burl pen and applied 3 coats of sanding sealer before starting on the lacquer.

Thanks,

Bob Quinn aka Eskimo

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Assuming your blank was perfectly smooth before you started applying lacquer, 6-8 coats normally does it for me, although some of the Aussie burls drink up lacquer and I end up with 10 coats.

marcruby

At the risk of sounding sarcastic I think that the right answer is that you are done when you are satisfied with the pen. Six coats is probably more than you need as protection but may not be enough to get the surface you are looking for. I'm a less is more person, anyway.

Marc

jttheclockman

Laquer is a finisher's dream because it is so forgiving and can add so much depth to wood. Lacquer will actually meld one layer into the other, unlike polys and CA where the layers stack on top of one another. The buid up with those products is more pronounced. With lacquer it is not and will take a whole lot of coats to build any thickness. As mention 6 coats is enough and there again that depends on how you applied and how much you sand off. You should actuall see the depth of the grain when you start getting past 3 layers. Good luck.

Top Bottom