Mylands Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

faas

Not necessarily pen related, but finish in general. I've been making wine glasses (seen here) and would like to explore different finish options. I've used Pens Plus and like the outcome, but have been wanting to get Mylands for some bowl work (relatively new to bowl turning). Are either a good choice for wine glasses? I thought about CA, but would prefer they stay with more of a wood feel.

Also, if I use Mylands do I have to use sanding sealer? If so, do I have to use theirs, or will any work?

JimB

I have used Mylands on a few of my bowls but only when I know they will not be handled a lot. Mylands is a friction finish so it will not hold up to a lot of handling such as with pens. I used it on the first few pens I made years ago when I didn't know better. I still have the first bottle I bought but it is almost gone because I do continue to use it occasionally.

Almost forgot, I have never used sanding sealer with it.

KenV

Most friction polishes contain shellac. Shellac is soluble in alcohol. Wine contains 10-20% alcohol. If no one ever spills or slops wine on the finish, you are good to go with shellac in a friction polish. Around here there are a lot who can spill.......

Sanding sealers (technical term for a finish with stearates added for easy sanding) are never required and can create problems.

Top Bottom