Mylands question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

I am going to get some mylands cellulose sanding sealer and high build friction pollish. Then I plan on covering that with Renaissance wax. Do any of you use these products? If so, when would I apply the sealer? Before sanding, after sanding, or during sanding?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Huey

When I use a sand and sealer I sand the blank to 400 grit then apply the sealer,Let it dry and sand on out with MM. This may be done more than once depending on the wood. If I use BLO/CA finish I don't use a sand and sealer with it.

ldimick

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />When I use a sand and sealer I sand the blank to 400 grit then apply the sealer,Let it dry and sand on out with MM. This may be done more than once depending on the wood. If I use BLO/CA finish I don't use a sand and sealer with it.

This is exactly how I do it. Works fine.

jdavis

Sand to 400, then seal, finish sanding, and then finish. Mifgt take several coats of sealler if it is a very open grain wood that you are using.

AdamB

I started out using the Mylands sanding sealer and the Hi-build friction polish.

Instead of using the Mylands as a sanding sealer I now just sand the pen down to 400 getting the shape just right. Then use a 2lb cut of Shellaq to sand with the 400 grit, this fills any pores no matter how big or how small.

After you let the blank dry, use 400 grit to remove any built up dryed on slurry and proceed through the MM grits like normal.

I havn't had any issues with putting a CA finish over it or a friction polish based on shellaq or laquer, I have also tried the HUT sticks on it, while I personally don't like this "finish" it does seem to work on top of the shellaq.

I am currently trying a water borne acrilic finish now.... let you know how it works out.

its_virgil

Coach,
I have long ago stopped using any of the friction polishes. I have not tried the sanding sealer, although many turners have favorable reports on both. If a wood needs sealing, I seal with a slurry of sanding dust and CA, after sanding to 400. I then resand to 12000 MM and apply a my standard finish of CA/BLO. For the few woods that don't seem to take to a CA finish I use deft lacquer mixed 50-50 with lacquer. Apply 4 or five coats on lathe and after two or three days I buff on the buffing wheels. This seems to work well for me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

vick

I use the sanding sealer only if I dye the blank on the lathe. The friction polish is usually a top coat over a CA-BLO finish, or by itself on a stabelized blank. The was I would put as my last finishing step, but I do not wax most of the time because I am impatient.

Gary Max

Coach---you would start the after all the sanding is done.
Sanding sealer---High build---Ren.
Take your time between coats and let them dry good.
If your first coat of sanding sealer does not look right---sand it a little-- smoothing it out and apply a second coat. You have to get the base coat right or you will never be happy with it.
Just my little thoughts --hope they help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom