Mylands Friction Polish residue in grain?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everybody, my name is Paul and I'm new here so this is my first post. I'm looking for some information on a small problem I've had on a few types of wood and am wondering if anybody else here had experienced this.

The issue I am having has only happened on a few types of wood that I have used the Mylands FP on. The two most obvious ones would be Purple Heart and African Padauk.

Anyway, after I'm done applying a few coats of FP and assemble the pen, everything looks beautiful. However, after maybe a few days or so, these "white" looking "streaks" start to appear in the deeper areas of the wood grain. The Padauk only has a few random "streaks", but it really takes away from it's beauty. The Purple Heart, however, is almost covered with them, mostly on the top half of the pen to the point that is almost has a "chalky" look to it now.

This hasn't happened on other woods I've used, although those ones don't have areas of deep grain like these two woods seem to have. I'm am thinking it is perhaps some sort of build up of the FP in the "cracks" of the grain, that only appear after a few days because it has more time to fully cure, but that is just a guess. FWIW, I am also making sure to properly shake the bottle each time before I apply the FP.

So if anybody here has any idea as to what is happening here and has any ideas of how to avoid this problem, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

~Paul

donstephan

Could you apply some in a similar fashion to scrap pieces of ash and oak? Both have open grain and might help decide if the problem is with the material or the woods.

jttheclockman

Both oily woods and the oil is reacting with the finish. Your next question is how to avoid this. The problem is I am not familar with the product you are using. What type of finish is it??? Is it a fast drying finish, is it a film finish, is it an oil finish. Maybe someone that has used this can help more.

Also are you sanding between coats of this?? If so you maybe build dust residue and that is what you are seeing.

KenV

Hi Paul

Welcome

I have not used Mylands Friction Polish. Did purchase a bottle at Woodcraft in Tucson to try, but headed north before the Doctors ran out.

Two likely culperts

Moisture in the wood. Not all pen blanks are dry and moisture will cause white streaking.

Oils in some woods cause the film part of the friction polish to not bond well.

Odds are 2/3 for moisture and 1/3 for Oil. That leaves 3 for 3 that it is one or the other or both.

Memory is that Mylands is shellac based and the timing eliminates most likely other causes.

Really sure you got really dry timber???

Top Bottom