My Version Of BLO/CA Pen Finish (utube) - Page 11 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #101 (permalink)

Photos: 0

William, i'll take your video- as is- over several professional videos i have seen.
i have avoided CA finishes for years because the mess, bumps, and sanding. the first pen i tried with your method came out great ,mokol
mokol is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #102 (permalink)

Photos: 124

Certainly looks like a quick and easy ay of doing the CA finish William, thanks for sharing.

I have been using CA finishes for quite some time, being reluctant to mix oil and glue, as I was always worried it would delaminate in time. I guess time will tell, but there are certainly advantages of trying your technique.

As for the issue of sticking to bushes and wax etc, I use bushes I make from cutting boards for my finishing, eliminates the problem all together. It also avoids problems associated with various waxes/finishes reacting with metals.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
bush-finish.jpg  
Dai Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #103 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Neil, any chance you'd be willing to sell a few of those cutting board bushings? Or at least an Idiot's Guide to making them?
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #104 (permalink)

Neil .
No problem with that drop of BLO with the CA . It's action is to cure the CA along with friction heat.

Great idea on the cutting board material. I don't have any problem whatsoever with CA sticking to bushings when applying a little wax on the ends but when I got my first order of these PSI Bullet Cartrige pen kits I forgot to order bushings for them.

So not to be beat and also to not wait for a separate order with more S/H , I made a set of bushings from corian . Bushings are very easy to make because all the pen kit assembly sheets give exact diameters of them both inside and out . All that is required is dial calipers .
They worked so well that when I ordered a bunch more of those kits I didn't even order the bushings then because the corian ones worked just fine.
With that said, I think the cutting board material woud be easier to turn than corian and I am curious what the cutting board material actually is. . ? ?
My wife might find a strip missing from her cutting board one day

W.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #105 (permalink)

Most of the "slickery" plastic cutting boards are going to be made of ultra-high density polyethelene (HDP or UHDP). You can get cheap cutting boards from discount stores, $1 stores, and in some cases you can get used one from resturants or butchers as they are using them up and must dispose of them. I'd suggest a quick bleach soak just to make sure kill the beasties stuck down in the cracks of a used board.

You can also buy HDP/UHDP various places like Peachtree Woodworking or McMaster-Carr.

Another term used to describe the same stuff is ultra-high molecular density polyethelene or UHMDP.

Another good material would be Delrin (that is the trademark name, I can't remember the generic chemical name right now) which is chemically related to Teflon but machines a bit easier. Again, you can buy small blocks from places like McMaster-Carr.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #106 (permalink)

Default great

thank you
turnero is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #107 (permalink)

Photos: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyreene View Post
Neil, any chance you'd be willing to sell a few of those cutting board bushings? Or at least an Idiot's Guide to making them?
I'm in Australia, so not worth your while buying them from me, but they are easy to make.

Get a thick cutting board, drill holes to suit your mandrel (I use differently coloured boards for each different mandrel). Mount the the little squares on your your mandrel with bushes as spacers, then turn them to suit. Use very light cuts, especially at the start, as they tend to slip a bit. I use sleeves for my Slimlimes/Streamlines, cones for the other larger kits.

Hope this helps, sorry for the high-jack William
Attached Thumbnails
bush-drill-holes.jpg   bush-cut-out.jpg   bush-turn-sleeve.jpg   bush-turn-cones.jpg  
Dai Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads