My technique for CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Thanks for sharing. Just curious, have you ever tried applying the CA directly on your finger and then onto the blank?

Seven

robutacion

Thanks for sharing. Just curious, have you ever tried applying the CA directly on your finger and then onto the blank?

Seven

I don't know about the OP experiences with CA but, have you ever had CA burns...?

Accidental CA exposure in the fingers (or any other part of the body) is bad enough, applying CA with your bare fingers, should not be done not I encourage anyone to go that way.

I have been using craft foam sheets for some time with good results.

Cheers
George

Woodchipper

I use a folded paper towel. Kurt Hertzog had a good article, Bulletproof Pen Finishes, in the February, 2017 issue of American Woodturner magazine.

DB in VT

Paper towels will certainly work but they will stick if you go too slow. The clear tape will not stick, at all. It's cheap and I can keep tape on my finger through several pens.

studioseven

I was misunderstood. In the video, ca was applied to the top of the pen. The ca was smoothed over the blank with his finger covered in scotch tape under the blank. I know of others who use the small bags that pen parts come in. I was just wondering if you could apply the ca to your covered finger rather than to the top of the blank.

Seven

studioseven

Looking back at my first post, I see where people would come to that conclusion. It is a good lesson. I will be more careful in the future.

Seven

DB in VT

What speed a you turning while applying CA. I turn at about 500 and yours looks to be going much faster than that.

Video was done very professionally. Nice job. Great looking finish too.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

A friend told me he runs his lathe at about 1800 rpm all the time. He has been turning pens for many years and selling them. I now have my lathe set at the next to the fastest speed and leave it there. You need the right sanding materials to run at that speed but now I'm used to it and it works just fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom