My Glu Boost Experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

This held special interest for given my guitar playing. I sanded to 2000 dry, blew-out the dust, and wiped it down with DNA and let dry.

I applied 3 coats of Blue and 2 coats of Orange. I used GB accelerator between each coat and let it "cure" for at least 2 minutes between coats, a little long between the Orange (really thin stuff). I then sanded from 1500 to 2000 and even used some 0000 steel wool. Oh yeah, I used ordinary, white, bathroom dispenser cheapo, paper towels (same that I use for applying CA finish). I then took the blank to the buffing wheel.

Despite the grain appearing very tight with no open grain or pits, my post-sanding, pre-buffing finish did have some some pits (no visible radial scratches though). Anyway, I brought it over to the buffer and started with white diamond as opposed to the brown Tripoli (trying to go as least aggressive as possible.

I wound-up having to go back to the Tripoli (brown) to remove the pits. Then I buffed through a small section - but it did take a lot more effort to buff-through even though I used less coats. Anyway, re-did the whole thing. Letting it sit over night (12 hours) this time which I don't know how much difference that will make. And there is always user-error (ME) to account for.

I do not regret buying it, and I will definitely use it. I don't think "traditional" CA should "pack its bags yet. I will say that I did use much less (a total of 5 coats).

The instructions call for a minimum of 15 minutes to one full day before working with it. I don't know if the applies to the thin coats that we use. I also want to test my mercury flex CA with the GB accelerator. Time will tell for me; it was faster though because less coats were used (The GB doesn't appear any thick than medium and thin CA, Blue and Orange respectively. I will see what happens with different wood. I am letting it sit over night as I stated above. Luthiers use some pretty soft wood (spruce and cedar) especially for guitar tops. The wood I used was much harder than that (don't know the name). I will take a picture of it when finished. I don't think I will be able to tell the difference in finish between mercury or glu boost. I would continue to use GB, just for the speed. Despite, my initial results, I think it will be very popular.

For what it is worth :)

Top Bottom