My Alternative to MM & Wet Sanding - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I must correct my earlier (above) post. I didn't mean to say that this thread stirred a debate, etc. I was referring to the 8- pager : Buffing-- kicked up a notch!.

It (the 8 -pager from years ago) started out as a productive exchange of information, and down it went.

Sorry for the confusion.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 10

LOL. I was going to say I didn't think anything I said was negative

Although I ordered from Caswell today and they called a few times and finally left a voicemail about some problem with my order. Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out what's up. I ordered 4 new canton flannel wheels (2 per side so I could double up) and P-22 and P-112.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

For whatever it is worth, each of my stages (Tripoli, WD, 6163, and 6164) are 3 buffs. I only came up with that number because I was trying to approximate the number of plys used by the Beall buffs; they were pretty thick. I am sure 2 or even 1 works, but it is nice to have that width to move the barrels about. They do tighten-up (narrow) considerably when spinning over 1000 rpms.

Separately, according to his video, he uses linen with the Tripoli and linen and cotton flannel with the WD, and all cotton flannel with the carnuba wax). I couldn't find linen buffs 8 inch, with an 1/2 inch hole even though I could have made it work. To emulate the abrasiveness of the linen, I sandwiched the a single canton flannel between two cotton sewn buffs for the tripoli station. I was/am really just experimenting as you can see. I have no idea if what I did emulates the cotton linen. The Caswell tech said that the sewn cotton wheels are used with tripoli....but remember these guys are really more into metal polishing. My stuff arrived in about 4 days.

Have you though about how you are going to mount the wheel? I made a wooden 2MT with 1/2 inch female thread in the center about 3/4 inch deep. Then I used gorilla glue epoxy to glue in the 1/2 inch all thread. I was hoping a craftsman like Rick H would make a 2MT with 1/2 inch female thread.

Anyway, enjoy!

Peace,

Tony

Last edited by TonyL; 09-23-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 10

My buffer has a tapered threaded mandrel on each side that should work with a 1/2" center hole. If not, I'll use some 1/2" all thread and make a mandrel to fit in place of the tapered ones.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default 4 wheel buffing system

Realize this thread is a little old, but it inspired me in my buffer set up. I had decided to go with some Caswell buffs and the plastic polishes, but wanted to be set up for just about anything, not just pens. So I ordered the Shop Fox buffer arbor and picked up a used 1 HP motor from Craigs list.

Originally thought I could just have 2 buffs on at a time, then realized that with a little inginuity, I could set this up for 4 buffs like Tony's set in the OP. This will be great for pens, and I can easily swap down to a single buff on each arbor end for doing larger pieces or whatever.

I found that by reaming out the inside of a piece of 3/4" pvc schedule 80 electrical conduit (just happened to have some laying around)with a 3/4" drill bit, it made perfect spacers on the 3/4" arbor. The spacers snug right up against the split rings next to the housing. I then made some extra washers to hold the buffs using some 1/4" MDF.

Still need to make some storage hangers for the buffs not in use and a place to store buffing compounds and stuff, but I'm excited to try my hand at buffing out pen finishes.
Attached Thumbnails
20160512_220032.01.jpg   20160512_220055.01.jpg   20160512_220104.01.jpg  

Last edited by conandy; 05-12-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: accidentally posted before complete
conandy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Tony
It's been over a year now with your 4-stage buffing system and I am wondering how it is holding up over the stretch of time.
At the time of the OP I was (and am still) using the Beal system but it is getting a bit worn and I am looking for alternatives.
Have you made any changes to the setup or to the buffing compounds?
Is there anything you would do differently?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Larry
larryc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

Hi Larry. I just finished 2 CA pens and one Hut Resin pen with it. I did experiment with a different brand of 3rd and final stage compounds, but that was it. The Caswell compounds are fine though. Here's the Castellar that I just finished and photographed 20 minutes ago.

Therefore, the answer is "no" for all intents and purposes.

"My" system is nothing more than added two finer compounds to the Bealle system.

I am using the same mops/buffs from a year ago.

PS. CA, I run at 1200 to 1400 rpms; PR, Alum..etc., I run at 1600.
Attached Thumbnails
castellar-huts-red-resin..jpg  

Peace,

Tony
Old 10-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
I had a nice description of the process composed; and I lost it after attaching the image and attempting to preview the post.
Before preview, ALWAYS ctrl A & ctrl C!!!
corgicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgicoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
I had a nice description of the process composed; and I lost it after attaching the image and attempting to preview the post.
Before preview, ALWAYS ctrl A & ctrl C!!!

Would you care to please explain what you are referring to with this statement. It might be of value to me, if I knew what it is and what it would accomplish.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Default My Alternative to MM & Wet Sanding

What would you say or do if I told you could to equal if not better results with a fraction of the tools and cost and time ?

Oh and it does not involve wet sanding or micromesh.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article

Last edited by edstreet; 10-17-2016 at 09:44 AM.
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads